Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kevinpfs

Where do I enter my cost of attic insulation to receive the energy improvement credit?

The program is only giving me the option of Solar water heating and solar electric costs.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KennethB

Where do I enter my cost of attic insulation to receive the energy improvement credit?

Unfortunately, the tax credit (of 10% of the cost up to $500.00) expired December 31, 2016 for home insulation products including batts, rolls, blow-in fibers, rigid boards, expanding spray, and pour-in-place insulation.  The credit was only available through the 2016 tax year and is not available for 2017. 

The tax credit for home solar PV and water heating systems doesn't expire for another five years, but the percentage you can claim gradually drops off after 2019.  That is why TurboTax is giving you the option for solar water heating and solar electric costs.

For further information, please see the IRS release concerning residential energy efficient property at the following link: 

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/residential-energy-efficient-property-credit-sect...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KennethB

Unfortunately, the tax credit (of 10% of the cost up to $500.00) expired December 31, 2016 for home insulation products including batts, rolls, blow-in fibers, rigid boards, expanding spray, and pour-in-place insulation.  The credit was only available through the 2016 tax year and is not available for 2017. 

The tax credit for home solar PV and water heating systems doesn't expire for another five years, but the percentage you can claim gradually drops off after 2019.  That is why TurboTax is giving you the option for solar water heating and solar electric costs.

For further information, please see the IRS release concerning residential energy efficient property at the following link: 

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/residential-energy-efficient-property-credit-sect...

todd-s1

The Chicago Tribune recently had an article saying this energy tax credit will be reinstated with the new tax bill and will be retroactive to 2017 taxes. Will Turbo Tax be making a software update to allow for this?

"Other potentially useful expired tax benefits that were revived retroactively for 2017 under the budget agreement involve energy-conserving improvements made to your home. The new extension allows you to get a tax credit of 10 percent of what you spent on certain improvements such as insulation, energy-efficient windows and doors and roofs. The cost of installing the improvements cannot be included in the calculation of the credit amount."

source: Hidden homeowner tax benefits in new budget deal can be used for 2017 taxes
link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/ct-re-0225-kenneth-harney-20180220-story.html">h...>

Non business energy property credit is available for 2018 and 2019.

The Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019 has made the non business energy property credit available for 2018 and 2019. All references to the credit have been reinserted in these instructions. See, for example, Non business Energy Property Credit (Part II) and Part II, Non business Energy Property Credit, later. The credit had expired at the end of 2017.

Most taxpayers will need to file their 2018 Form 5695 with an amended return (Form 1040-X) to claim the non business energy property credit for 2018. See Form 1040-X and its instructions at IRS.gov/Form1040X for details.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i5695#idm[phone number removed]896

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies