Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nmkankan

Unclaiming dependents to collect stimulus 2020

I'm filing 2020 taxes on extension. My AGI is >$450000. I'm not eligible for stimulus payments, child credits, etc. I have one child born 2019 (and one born 2021).

Can I not claim my 2019 child and file a separate tax return for her. She has about $500 in dividends. Since no one is claiming her as a dependent, she should be able to collect the $1200+$600 stimulus payments from 2020, correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

No.  The child would have to indicate on their tax return that they CAN be claimed as a dependent even if no one is claiming them as a dependent.  So since they can be claimed as a dependent they are not eligible for the stimulus payments.

No, unless you want your two year old to commit tax fraud by preparing a tax return for her that says she cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent.    Dependents cannot receive stimulus payments.   It is inconceivable that a two year old with $500 in income could not be claimed as someone else's dependent.   Your scheme will not work.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies