turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax is saying "We see [spouse] had a break in HDHP health plan coverage during 2017" which is not correct. Where can I correct this information?

Yes, I made the same mistake as I did last year in answering the question, and I had to come back here!

Turbotax is saying "We see [spouse] had a break in HDHP health plan coverage during 2017" which is not correct. Where can I correct this information?

Agreed - a baffling lack of guidance, which is what we're paying Intuit for.  Something this simple should be noted on the screens, especially more than a year later.

Yes, please fix this so I'm not back here again next year
MrDotDot

Thanks for the explanation. I would expect this to be clarified in the software itself.

A year later this is STILL a problem? Thank God for the internet, because TT had no guidance for this. All it would take is to copy and paste this answer into the software. Come on, Intuit, you can do better.

This is literally insane. The page should never have made it through testing in the first place.
rich3

Agree with all of the comments above.  PLEASE FIX!

shame on TurboTax, we're paying you to have a product that correctly and clearly guides through the tax filing process and this issue is one of a few I've run into this year that make me question their overall product

I'm  starting 2020 taxes and this is still messed up.  :( 

Stepped right into this issue today: Wife had HDHP (high deductible health plan) for 9 of the 12 months in 2019 (3 jobs). Husband had full coverage all year under his work (12 months). Somehow, TurboTax assumes the husband now also has an HDHP plan with a lapse in coverage. Cannot figure out how to access and enter for husband to match Form 1095-B. Seems like there should be a way to actually enter directly from the Form1095-Bs for each person, without making an assumption everything is the same for both? Not a problem, if IRS doesn't mind some inaccuracies, but always hate to send a return through with issues like this.

AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

In prior years there was a penalty for not having coverage all year; however, this year the penalty is $0. As long as neither spouse received a 1095-A, there is no issue. Only 1095-A's need to be reconciled on the tax return by filing Form 8962.

@art555 

[Edited 02/10/2020 | 11:37AM PST] to clarify response is to art555

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BillM223
Expert Alumni

As Alex says, you don;t need to enter your 1095-B into TurboTax.

Your issue is with the question that asks "What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [name] have on December 1, 2018?"

Unfortunately, the question does not clarify that it it for a small group of taxpayers and that all other taxpayers should answer "NONE".

NOTE: each spouse can have an HSA. the use of "you" below refers to whichever spouse's name was in the question above.

This question is trying to determine if you utilized the "last-month" rule in 2018. The last-month rule lets you use the full annual HSA contribution limit if you had HDHP coverage on December 1, 2019, even if you were not covered by an HDHP for all of 2019.

Using the "last-month" rule requires that you stay under HDHP coverage for all of the following year (2019)

***NOTE*** This question applies only to taxpayers who had HDHP coverage in 2018 and who made HSA contributions to their own HSA in 2018; otherwise, they could not have benefited from the last-month rule.

So, the fix is this: go back to the question (at the end of the HSA interview), and if you did not contribute to an HSA in 2018 or not even have an HSA in 2018, then answer NONE.

I know that that is not what the questions asks, but believe me, the question does not apply to taxpayers who don't have an HSA, even if they have HDHP coverage.

If you had HDHP coverage for all of 2018 , then enter NONE 

If you had no HDHP coverage for all of 2018, then enter NONE.

If you did not have an HSA in 2018, then enter NONE.

If you had an HSA in 2018 but did not contribute to it in 2018, then enter NONE.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Wow, I had the same question & I see a ton of comments regarding the same confusion.  Why hasn't Intuit reworded or clarified this by now.  It obviously is still causing questions after 2 years of this being in the software.

Agreed, this is unclear in TurboTax.  Intuit, please update the explanation in the software tool.  Thanks!

madk
Level 1

+1

Seriously, this question is unnecessarily complicated. Like others, I had to use google to find the answer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies