turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

YaYa_taxes
Returning Member

Totaled Vehicle

In 2018 I have an accident in which my insurance company totaled my vehicle.  I still lowed money on the loan (gap insurance was not available when I purchased it).  I have a loss of what I owed LightStream Loans.  I had to purchase a new vehicle and now owe on a new loan.  How do I claim the vehicle loss and the sales tax for the new vehicle?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Totaled Vehicle

This would have been a casualty and theft loss up to tax year 2017.

The tax treatment of personal casualty losses and thefts is changed under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. Pursuant to the TCJA, the itemized deduction for personal casualty and theft losses is temporarily limited in tax years 2018 through 2025 solely to losses attributable to federally-declared disasters.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Totaled Vehicle

What about if you had a loan on a car that was used for business and was totaled? My car was deemed "totaled" and I received a settlement from the party-at-fault's insurance company. I then took the settlement and payed the remaining loan amount which left me a little less than 1/4 of the total amount paid to me. I then took that 1/4 and bought a used car (to be used partially for my business and partially for personal use). How do I report that instance? Do I only report the 1/4 amount since I really didn't realize the entire payoff since I owed money to the bank? Could I just simply everything and tell TT it was traded-in?

Totaled Vehicle

You have 2 separate situations here ... you "sold" the car to the insurance company for what they paid out  and then  you bought a new car.  What you owed on the old vehicle is immaterial on an income tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies