Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Instructions for turbo tax: For people doing Qualified Charitable Deductions (QCD) for their RMD, they need to provide some supporting documentation with their return.

First you don't need to lie about your age to the IRS just to the program just long enough  to get around the glitch which folks using the ONLINE program must do since they do NOT have a FORMS mode. 

Instructions for turbo tax: For people doing Qualified Charitable Deductions (QCD) for their RMD, they need to provide some supporting documentation with their return.

To enter my QCD I had to go to the forms view, under 1099R there is a place to enter your QCD. I could not get the QCD entered any other way

I did try to change my age, then I was asked about my QCD, once that was done I went back and corrected my age. The amount stayed off of my income, however once I was completed, TT showed I had an error on my 1099R, I had to change it to go forward and the amount was added back into my income. So it appears the work around does not work. 2 options, wait for TT to Fix or try another Tax on line company. I did check with one and it allowed me to take the QCD option. 
All of your comments are great and all the experts here understand the situation, but apparently TT does not care. 
I'm headed to the other Tax group. 

Not2old
Returning Member

Interesting.  I did the workaround age change but have not completed my return to file, so I have not experienced the error notification.  I wonder if just leaving the age wrong might work,  There is probably nothing else that TT uses that for and I have never seen anything  show on my return about age or DOB.  If DOB carried over the the 1040, then why is the question on it "Were you born before Jan 2 1956"?

If there is an error then it for a different reason.  What is the error complaining about?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

U r correct. 70.5 NOT 79.5. Thank you for your comment 

Lannowj
Returning Member

I have exactly the same problem.  70,5 years old in April, 2020  Made QCD after that date in 2020.  There is no prompt in TT to allow deduction of these distributions.  Called TurboTax Rep on the phone.  Actually talked to a Person.

They acknowledged that the software does not recognize 1/2 year birth dates.  Hopeful there will be a fix in updates forthcoming.

Since Turbotax doesn't have a sense of urgency to fix this problem of separating RMDs from QCD's, does this mean they endorse the work around of changing your birthday to before July 1949, entering the QCD info, then correcting your birthday?  Not very professional!

What other online income tax provider do you recommend?

Fixes take time and there already is a major change to the same 1099-R interview in progress so I doubt they will make what might be a conflicting change  to the same interview when there is a simple workaround.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
cliffwp5

This is in regards to TurboTax program logic error with Regards to RMD (Required minimum Distribution)

and QCD (Qualified Charitable Distributions)

A person younger than 72 but having attained 70 1/2 in 2020 and having made a QCD, upon entering the 1099-R, TTax, will not ask about the RMD. That’s ok BUT, the RMD triggers the QCD entry page.

Therefore, there is no way to enter a QCD. I have spoken to TTax and was assured that they are working

on a fix. This is just a heads up so all can watch for a fix. (BTW, I tested this by entering my age as 73 instead of the 70 1/2 and all works as advertised..)

axiothea

TT2020 does not allow for the Cares Act 300$ charitable contribution schedule 1--- in addition to the QCD from an RMD.  This is new this year a allows for a charitable contribution even if you take the standard deduction. The program error check says that the line must be empty any time I put in $200.  I think it can be be worked around by adding the $200 to the QCD amount in the line above but have not yet tried that suspecting that TT will deal with the Cares Act 2020 in a subsequent update.

Not2old
Returning Member

I did not have any problem with this.  There was an interview question and the amount I entered is in box 10b on the 1040.

jdhenn

I can't find the follow up so I can identify the amount as a QCD. I turned 70 1/2 in November and made the contribution in December.

dmertz
Level 15

This has been discussed earlier in this thread several times.  I'll repeat it here:

For those with a birthdate between July 1, 1949 and June 30, 1950, 2020 TurboTax presently (now version R18) has a bug the prevents it from asking the necessary question regard transfer of the distribution to charity. As a workaround for this, with the CD/download version you can provide the QCD-amount information on the 1099-R in forms mode or in any version of TurboTax you can temporarily change your birthdate in TurboTax to something before July 1, 1949, edit the 1099-R form in TurboTax and answer the question asking how much was transferred to charity, then change your birthdate back in TurboTax back to your actual birthdate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies