Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tesla Charger and Form 8911

I have an electric car and I cannot figure out how to write off the "Tesla Charger" in my house. It's a Form 8911 but TT doesn't have a place for it -- only a "business" deduction -- anyone help us please ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Form 8915 credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property will be available on 02/20/2020.

The IRS has to finalize and approve the form before the form is available on TurboTax. 

If the credit is for property not used for business, it will be treated as personal credit.

To claim the credit:

1. Log in to your account. 
  2. Go to Federal Expenses.
  3. Go to Deductions and Credits.
  4. Scroll down to Cars and Other things you own.
  5. Scroll down Energy-Efficient Vehicle charging station.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

MayaD, 

You mention for 8915, which actually has nothing to do with the top in question. Form 8911 is the form for "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit". This form was posted on the IRS website on 2/4/2020, so I don't see how it isn't already finalized and approved.

Please redo your research on the proper form, and repost regarding this issue, which is currently keeping customers such as myself from being able to submit their returns via TurboTax.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The IRS currently lists the availability of Form 8911 as "to be determined." The form has not yet been finalized for tax year 2019. TurboTax does its best to ensure availability of forms as soon as approved by the IRS. See the link below for additional information.

IRS Forms Availability

VictoriaD75, 

You need to get some better resources:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/priorFormPublication.html?value=8911&criteria=formNumber&subm...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8911--2020.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

If you follow the second and third links, you can go there, and view the form and instructions. Please note the notation "(Rev. February 2020)" .

Quit making excuses, and get the darn form out there for TurboTax users! This is inexcusable that company of your size hasn't already gotten this form available to TurboTax users!

And,

If you follow this link, you'll see that this form was finalized on 2/4/2020, and instructions on 2/7/2020:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsInstructions.html;jsessionid=-hk1EC1Li256rovkk_bg0l_6.20...

And here is a link which demonstrates that this is the current revision:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8911

Form 8911 is definitely now available for download from the IRS website.  Is there an ETA for when it will be ready for use within the TurboTax app?  Considering that Intuit and H&R Block lobbied congress (successfully) to allow them to maintain a marketing advantage over the IRS to show how to file taxes, I should think that they should be more responsive to the needs of their users to have the form up on time.

@jimphynn3 wrote:

Form 8911 is definitely now available for download from the IRS website.  Is there an ETA for when it will be ready for use within the TurboTax app?  Considering that Intuit and H&R Block lobbied congress (successfully) to allow them to maintain a marketing advantage over the IRS to show how to file taxes, I should think that they should be more responsive to the needs of their users to have the form up on time.

Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit - Estimated date available 02/20/2020

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Can you tell me how to access this form once it's up? When I input the data for my electric car, I never saw the option to get a credit for a purchased charger. Now that my return has been rejected because of the mistakes in form 8936, I'd like to use the opportunity to also get the credit from 8911.

@gdahlgren wrote:

Can you tell me how to access this form once it's up? When I input the data for my electric car, I never saw the option to get a credit for a purchased charger. Now that my return has been rejected because of the mistakes in form 8936, I'd like to use the opportunity to also get the credit from 8911.

For an energy-efficient vehicle charging station tax credit

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Cars and Other Things You Own
  • On Energy-Efficient Vehicle Charging Station, click the start or update button

Or enter 8911 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 8911

mehungry

Trying to use form 8911 today. TT took the numbers I input, but during the federal review I still get the warning that form 8911 will be available soon. That's strange because I just input the numbers into the form and the form shows up under the forms view completely filled in.

In summery, the form is there and filled in, but TT says it's not available yet during the federal review. I dont want to file and have the same problem as others by having my filing rejected.

Looks like the TT program needs to be updated again to see the form that was just filled in.

I'm having a similar issue. I entered the description and cost of my home charger, but it says my credit is $0 even though per form 8911 instructions I should be getting a credit. Also, when I do the review, it says the form is not available yet. What is going on? I've been waiting on this form for weeks now so I can submit. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If you are using Turbo Tax software (instead of the Online version), try to check for updates in your Turbo Tax program to see if that form will now update in your return.

I am having the same issue today. I enter the value and it says my deduction is $0 and the form will not be included in my return. No matter what value I enter as the cost of the charger, I get the same message. Hopefully they fix this soon as this is the last thing I need to file. 

Updated this morning, same error message... Now it is a couple of weeks since the form has been available.

This is the last year I let myself get ripped off by this pile of garbage software. There are plenty of free (or significantly less expensive) options available now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies