cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Tax credits/residential energy credits/residential energy efficient property credits/non-business energy property credits available for tax year 2018

RE: 2018 TAXES    Are there any tax credits/residential energy credits/residential energy efficient property credits/non-business energy property credits available for tax year 2018 for which a new central air conditioner or furnace would be eligible?  If so, where can I find the list of units that would qualify and the amount of the tax credit?  If not available or known at this point, does anyone have an educated guess that would help one choose a new residential A/C and Furnace unit that might qualify?  Thanks. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 20

Tax credits/residential energy credits/residential energy efficient property credits/non-business energy property credits available for tax year 2018

The Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit expired after tax year 2017.  This credit was for certain high-efficiency heating and air conditioning systems, water heaters and stoves that burn biomass, energy-efficient windows and skylights, energy-efficient doors, qualifying insulation and certain roofs.

As of this date the Congress has not renewed the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit for tax year 2018.

The Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit is in effect for 2018 to the end of 2021 - 

Qualified solar electric property, Qualified solar water heating property, Qualified small wind energy property,  Qualified geothermal heat pump property and Qualified fuel cell property costs.

9 Replies
Level 1

Is there a credit for energy efficient heater/air units for 2018?
Level 20

No.  See answer below...
Level 20

The Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit expired after tax year 2017.  This credit was for certain high-efficiency heating and air conditioning systems, water heaters and stoves that burn biomass, energy-efficient windows and skylights, energy-efficient doors, qualifying insulation and certain roofs.

As of this date the Congress has not renewed the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit for tax year 2018.

The Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit is in effect for 2018 to the end of 2021 - 

Qualified solar electric property, Qualified solar water heating property, Qualified small wind energy property,  Qualified geothermal heat pump property and Qualified fuel cell property costs.

Level 1

A bill was passed extending the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit; called the "Tax Extender and Disaster Relief Act of 2019".  Section 101.
Level 20

@manny.chatlani Please provide a web link showing that the bill was passed by Congress
Level 2

The bill was referred to committee in the Senate as of Mar. 9, 2019. If passed it will extend certain credits to tax year 2018. If passed out of committee, it will go to a floor vote by the full Senate, then to the House for a vote. If passed there, it will go to the President for his signature. For details on the bill, see <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Tax%20Extender%20and%20Disaster%20Relief%20Act%20of%202...>
Level 2

what was the max credit for 2017 taxes for a home hvac system

Level 3

If I rent a couple of the rooms in my house out to tenants but live in the house as my primary residence, am I eligible for the 2019 30% credit on a PV system install?

Highlighted
Level 20

@petehartman1 wrote:

If I rent a couple of the rooms in my house out to tenants but live in the house as my primary residence, am I eligible for the 2019 30% credit on a PV system install?

Yes.