Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Suggestions on how to maximize tax savings on this investment property purchase?

My mother has a reverse mortgage on her home. This has worked out in her favor, but she can no longer stay in that house because of the stairs. My brother and I are going to buy her a first-floor condo. We can pay cash or we could get a mortgage if that would be better from a tax perspective.  My mom does not have sufficient income to pay any rent or HOA fees. Can we claim depreciation on the property plus the expense of the HOA fees, divide that expense evenly between us, and pass it through to our personal returns as a business loss? Suggestions on a better way to save some taxes on this investment? TIA!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestions on how to maximize tax savings on this investment property purchase?

no rent  and used by a relative  -  no schedule e deduction for any expenses.  it might be best to have title in mothers  name.  since you'll be making a gift in this case paying cash for property. a gift tax return will be required by you and your brother.  the reason to suggest this is that if you two are named as heirs you will get a stepped up basis upon her death. you could  sell and would have no gain to report (possibly a loss).  if you own the property and sell when she passes any gain would be fully taxable. if you keep title and finance it,  at best it would be investment property. Any mortgage interest and real estate taxes would be schedule A  (itemized) deductions.  The mortgage interest would actually be investment interest subject to investment interest limitations.  this means the interest would only be deductible to the extent of your dividend, interest and other investment income. 

since i know nothing about your finances, it might be best to consult an estate attorney.   this is especially true if your mother does not have a will or has not otherwise provided in writing for what happens to her property.  failure can result in costly probate.     

I agree ... BEFORE you do anything consult an elder attorney to consider the ramifications of gifting her property and/or her being the owner ....  and then you may wish to consult with a local tax professional to ascertain the federal & state effects.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

No rent  and used by a relative - You and your sibling have a "2nd home".   As such, the mortgage interest and real estate taxes are deductible as itemized deductions. The mortgage interest is not subject to investment interest limitations. Property tax is  subject to the $10K limit on deducting SALT (state and local taxes).  You would each deduct what you actually pay.  No business  (schedule C) or rental losses (Schedule E) are allowed.  No deduction for HOA fees, depreciation, repairs and maintenance or utilities is allowed.  

"Gift Tax" is somewhat of a misnomer.  Even though a gift tax return may be required, very few people ever actually pay federal gift tax. The purpose of the gift tax return is usually only to document a reduction in the allowable estate tax exemption.
See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax-Made-Simple/...

Thank you ALL for your replies. Very helpful. My mom does have a will and a trust so I'm calling that attorney next as well as an elder attorney. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies