turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Solar ITC tax credit with purchase of lease

I bought a home in Jun 2021 and opted for lease of Solar System. Now since I was made aware of the ITC tax credit, I am planning to purchase out the lease (in full) during the same financial year 2021. Can I claim the tax credit now since I would be owning the Solar system in the same financial year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You don't say when it was installed.

The credit is claimed when the system is placed in service (installed, inspected, and turned on).  If that was under a previous owner, there is no credit for you as a subsequent owner.  I think if you installed the system in 2021 and purchased it in 2021, you can claim the credit, even though you originally picked the lease option.

It's a new construction home so there is no previous owner.

The Solar company installed it in Jun 2021  and activated in Aug 2021

The Solar company tells me since I chose the lease option initially, the solar company would get the credit even though I am purchasing out the lease in the same financial year.

Online search doesn't talk about this scenario hence would be great if you can help.

@rohitsi wrote:

It's a new construction home so there is no previous owner.

The Solar company installed it in Jun 2021  and activated in Aug 2021

The Solar company tells me since I chose the lease option initially, the solar company would get the credit even though I am purchasing out the lease in the same financial year.

Online search doesn't talk about this scenario hence would be great if you can help.

I can't comment on that specific situation.  I don't see anything that would bar you from claiming the credit if you purchase the system in the year it was installed, even though you leased for a short period of time.  But I am not an enrolled agent, and I also don't know which section of the code they would use to claim a business credit (it's not the residential credit in §25D because they don't own the home) so I can't look for how the two interact. 

@rohitsi wrote:

They are correct.  The expense is considered to happen when the installation is completed.  So in your case, the solar company owned it at that time, so they get the credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies