Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Schedule 8812 Line 5 Worksheet

@toonetown - could be true, but the the Line 5 Worksheet is NOT going to be the reason the IRS adjusted the refund.  Anyone who thinks so is not focusing on the real issue: 

The real issue is that what the taxpayer entered into TT indicating the amount received for the advance child care credit (which is displayed on Line 14f of Form 8812) does not match what was actually deposited into the taxpayers bank account statements from July - Dec, 2021.  

I agree - that’s not the reason for the number of people with the error…but it makes it difficult to track that down.

Also - it has been a few months since I did it, but I don’t remember being asked the questions around the credit in the first place…

i experienced the same thing, what's the way out ?

@GL_19993 You have added to a thread full of posts from multiple users so we cannot tell what "same thing" you are experiencing.   Are you having a problem related to questions about the child tax credit?

Everyone has to answer whether they received advance child tax credit payments.   If you did not receive any of those payments between July and December you need to answer that you did not receive any payments.

There are so many scenarios with those payments---like divorced/never married parents who have issues over who received the payments, who claimed the children, etc. --- the software has no way of knowing if any of that involves you---so you have to answer the questions about it. 

Please follow these steps to indicate you did not receive any advanced payments:

1. Click on the "Search" on the top and type "Child tax credit"
  2. Click on “Jump to Child Tax Credit”
  3. Continue through the questions until the "Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments" screen and select "No".
  4. Continue through the questions.

If that was not your issue, please click Reply and tell us what is going on so we know how to help you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@GL_19993 - if you are asking what is the way out of the error, there is nothing to do on your tax return.  THe IRS has corrected it.  If you now owe money, then it is due.  

PoppaLoki

My calculation was short. Line 5 is independent of the advanced payment received last year. Line 5 worksheet doesn't ask whether you receive the child credit or not. That is in a different part. I basically overpaid my tax by $900 last year and there seems to be no recourse in TT's side since I receive no such letter from IRS.  Again, everyone's payment from advance child credit HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LINE 5 8812 worksheet. TT came up with $8100 for my 3 children between 6 to 12. 

As of all updates on 10/31/2022 Turbotax  for PC does not show the "Line 5 worksheet" in forms.  I downloaded the schedule 8812 instructions and filled it out.  Not trivial- there are 12 lines in this worksheet.  The result from my completing it agreed with the entry Turbotax put on line 5 for schedule 8812.

I think what is confusing for married filing jointly is Turbotax instructions do not emphasize that both spouses get a letter 6419 for the advance child tax credit payments and the amounts on both MUST BE ADDED TOGETHER and entered into the interview question for schedule 8812 line 14f.  This is despite the fact that schedule 8812 is very clear for line 14f about having to add both together.

@avjunior - that is by far the #1 error made......filing joint and not realizing the letters need to be added together.  this won't be an issue in 2022 as the Advance Child Care Credit was for 2021 only. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies