turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RV (Fifth Wheel) deductions for business (Full time RV'rs)

We travel from RV park to RV park, staying for 2 weeks, and doing marketing for the RV parks & resorts.
1099 through the company I am contracted with. I am self-employed and pay for all of my own expenses, with the exception of the free site that is given for 2 weeks at each park. My wife is self-employed with her medical billing business (also 1099 contracted employee). Our fifth wheel is our main and only residence all year.
How would I enter expenses for our fifth wheel? Home deduction for both businesses, or take the fifth wheel as a business expense for my business, and depreciate? Ours is a rare circumstance, and I can't find any info on how to proceed with our taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

This is a very gray area. Clearly, you are using your RV for business. That indicates mileage between parks and depreciation of the RV.

However, since it is your main home. a business office can be tricky. You would have to have an area designated for regular and exclusive use to claim home office. See Can You Claim a Boat or RV as a Primary Residence ... Your RV is a business asset while being your home. See Publication 587 (2018), Business Use of Your Home | Internal ...

Your RV is your business lodging. You need to keep track of business nights use for business lodging.

For the business car section, add everything like you would a car;

• Motor oil
  • Gas
  • Car Washes
  • Tires
  • Licensing Fees
  • Property Tax
  • Parking
  • Tolls

For more on depreciation:  26 U.S. Code § 280F - Limitation on depreciation for luxury ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi AmyC,

Thanks for the response. I don't believe I can use it under business vehicle expenses. It is a fifth wheel that we tow with my truck.  I am wondering if I should just depreciate over 5 years as a business property asset deduction. We will probably trade in after 5-7 years. Home office seems touchy for RVers.  I also think I should list it as 50% for business, since we eat, sleep, shower, and watch tv in it. Any suggestions?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

For a home office deduction, the space would have to be used 100% for business, so that is a non-starter.

You are allowed to deduct the business use of a vehicle even if it is also used for personal purposes. Thus, if you can segregate personal mileage from business mileage, you could deduct a portion of the cost of the truck you use to travel from one park to the other.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies