turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Reporting foreign interest income. I've received $1556 of foreign interest income but do not have a 1099-INT form from the foreign bank.

You don't need an FEIN (EIN) number to report the interest. Just enter the amount in Box 1, and enter the name of the bank where required. You are required to report any interest that is one dollar or more.

kvrven123

Reporting foreign interest income. I've received $1556 of foreign interest income but do not have a 1099-INT form from the foreign bank.

Thanks Charles.

berubenmj

Finally!  I just wanted to report my Foreign Interest Income and could not find the right answer.  Thanks!  This other reportable income worked for me.   I just cannot use accrued credits under form 1116, but at this point, paying $1500 for a professional or loosing a couple of dollars credits, I am fine to report my FII under other income. IRS will be able to tax. 

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

[Edited 03/07/2021|3:28 pm pst]

Hi Irene/Other TT Expers,

If I enter foreign tax paid, it also asks for 'foreign source amount included in interest' (box 6d) during the error checking stage. What is the Foreign source amount?

Thank you for this thread and for the solutions.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Lucka  The IRS needs to know how much income you reported to pay the foreign tax. 

For example: You paid $100 foreign tax. Great, The IRS needs to know which country and how much income you reported to them.

Always being careful if you need to report foreign accounts. Here is a comparison of the 8938 and FBAR requirements. The FBAR is not part of the tax return. It is filed separately. File FBAR through the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for screen shots, I don't get FEIN number from my foreign bank, can I put 111111 there as dummy value? it's a mandatory field?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Fill out the 1099-INT without FEIN.  It should be left blank.  During the final review, you will see a flag for missing FEIN; if this is your only flag, click "File" on the left panel.  This will allow the check to be skipped.   Continue through the rest of the interview questions to finish filing your return.  

@akhilgupta78 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Michele C

Foreign interest & Dividends should not be reported as other income.  It should be reported on schedule B.  There is no required field for an EIN

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies