Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Scedule 8812 (Child Tax Credit) Error

I have no children or dependents. When running Smart Check it gives me two errors showing that the Payments Recieved are not filled out. Well they aren't filled out because I shouldn't be filing a Schedule 8812. Anyone else run into this bug?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

61 Replies

It is not a bug

Everyone has to answer whether they received advance child tax credit payments.   If you did not receive any of those payments between July and December you need to answer that you did not receive any payments.

There are so many scenarios with those payments---like divorced/never married parents who have issues over who received the payments, who claimed the children, etc. --- the software has no way of knowing if any of that involves you---so you have to answer the questions about it

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Are you saying the IRS is asking everyone in the US to file a scedile 8812? That doesn't seem correct.

No-----You need to answer the QUESTIONS to determine whether you need to complete a 8812.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Correct, and I answered the questions. No dependants, no children. Therefore it shouldn't generate a 8812.

robw83

Where is the questions to answer, what section

Same happening to me .. Single / No Dependents .. TTax  filling in a Schedule 8812, which asks for "Advance child tax credit payments received from Letter 6419". I don't have a Letter 6419 since I have no children or child tax credits. 

I called it in to inform them. Hopefully they will push out an update soon.

If anyone else is having this issue please call it in to speed up/make sure the update happens.

I truly don't see where everybody's having a conniption fit over having to answer two simple questions in the program. One is did you get any of the third stimulus and the other did you get any of the advanced child tax credit. Simply answer those two questions and life will be wonderful.

You obviously don’t understand the issue. Those questions were answered correctly and it is still generating form 8812. I obviously don’t want to have that form generated and sent in electronically as it might generate errors in the system that will delay or kick back the filing. 
And yes it is a bug confirmed by TurboTax support. 

2b53K

I cannot get past this error either!! What the heck.

kelausser
Returning Member

I had the same error with all 5 taxes I'm preparing.  Just put in a "0".

sirieener

i do not have any children and did not complete the schedule 8812.  but i keep getting the error that I must enter the amount of advanced money I received.

Please help I really want to complete my taxes

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps to resolve this error:

With your federal return open:

1. Go to the Depends and Credits section, click on Edit next to Advanced Payments, Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits, and enter 0 for the advance payments your received in 2021.

@sirieener

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax pushed out an update today.

Todays update DID NOT fix this issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies