Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QBI

I have no earned income and do not own a business or rental property.  My 1099-DIV for one mutual fund includes an entry in Box 5 - Section 199A dividends which leads to a QBI deduction of 20% of the entry.

Can this be correct? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

QBI

Yes, that is correct. 

QBI

Thanks.

decrepit-taxpayer
Returning Member

QBI

Thanks from me too! I am in the same situation as OP. Only, I didn't know the connection between QBI and an entry on Block 5 of Form 1099-DIV. Sure enough, my qbi is 20% of that entry. Wish I'd thought to check here sooner!

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

QBI

This benefit is attributable to the Tax Reform Act.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act added Section 199A which affords certain individuals a deduction of 20% of qualified REIT dividends subject to certain holding period requirements. The entire portion of our ordinary dividend distribution is considered a "qualified REIT dividend" for purposes of Section 199A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
10urban21

QBI

Thank you

hankandval29
Returning Member

QBI

How would we know if the holding period requirements have been met when the 1099-div (box 5) is from a Mutual fund?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

QBI

The financial organization who completes your form has already identified you may be entitled to the qualified business income deduction (QBID) which is why you have an amount in Box 5. This means you should  check your holding period(s).

• Box 5. Shows the portion of the amount in box 1a that may be eligible for the 20% qualified business income deduction under section 199A. See the instructions for Form 8995 and Form 8995-A
  • Holding Period: Sec. 199A(e)(3) states that a qualified REIT dividend is any REIT dividend that is not a capital gain dividend or qualified dividend income (QDI). The qualified REIT dividend is subject to the 45-day holding period rule at the shareholder level under Regs.

@hankandval29 

hankandval29
Returning Member

QBI

Is the 'holding period' for the shares of the mutual fund that I have? I have had this fund since 1991 and have always reinvested all the dividends and have never sold any of my shares in the mutual fund. If the 'holding period' is referring to the shares of the mutual fund that I have had since 1991 then I would think that I have met the 'holding period' requirements?  I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this but would appreciate your opinion.

QBI

Qualified REIT dividends from a fund are reported in Box 5, Section 199A dividends, of your Form 1099‑DIV. As long as it is showing up on Box 5 on that dividend form, you can rest assured that it has met the holding period requirements making you subject to the QBI deduction of 20% As @DianneW already mentioned earlier, Qualified REIT Dividends is subject to the 45 day holding period rule at the shareholder level.   

hankandval29
Returning Member

QBI

Thanks for the clarification.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies