Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

knechtmb1

Property tax/vehicle registration deduction in North Carolina

This question on the form is confusing. I have two line items on my notice for payment for property tax and vehicle registration. There's the property tax on the vehicle, the registration, and the total. I am up to the car registration fees section of the form. Do I put just the registration, just the property tax, or both? The property tax section looks to be only for planes and boats
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Definitely just list Property Tax, not registration fees, for vehicles in NC. Confusion comes this year on TT as to where to list it: Under Boats and Planes Personal Property Tax (where we have listed it in years past) or under Vehicle Registration Fee where TT has a note that NC Vehicle Property Tax can be claimed?

The forms were updated to include NC in the Vehicle Registration area.....so just put-em there.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

ok, thanks

Just the property tax part....not the registration fee or any fee that is a flat fee:

just anything with a listed "Tax Rate Per $100 Value"

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

When I look at 2020 and 2021 deductions and credits, I appears that for Vehicle Registration Fees in 2020 I received a credit of $300 of $472 claimed, whereas in 2021 I received $0 of $497 claimed.

Why is this?

This is what I see on TurboTax for NC. Only county tax can be included it appears, not the city tax, or registration fee. Someone please let me know if this is correct. Thanks!Vehicle Registration Fees NC Tax Year 2021.jpg

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@Jquez  Yes, it's correct. 

Since 2013 North Carolina has combined the annual property tax payment to the county in which you live with the annual vehicle registration fee that goes to the state. 

The portion that is deductible on the tax return is that property tax portion that is based on the value of the vehicle and is paid to the county

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SomeDude2

So in NC, can you deduct both the car registration fees and the car county taxes or is it one or the other?  In TT, it shows car registration in the title but then also mentions taxes paid to the county.  So do you add those together?

Enter your car registration fees

Enter the deductible portion of your car registration fee. Learn more
In North Carolina, you can deduct the Vehicle Property Tax paid to your county on your vehicles.
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

No, only the property tax portion paid is an itemized deduction.  NC is nice enough to separate those out for you for easy entry in the "Deduction and Credits" section using the "Car Registration" topic in TurboTax.   

@DMarkM1 Do you still only enter the County portion for NC and not the City or Special taxing?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If the city or special taxing is based on the value of your vehicle, then it can be added to the county portion to be deducted.  

If those other amounts are a flat tax or based on something other than the value of your vehicle, then they are not deductible.

@alyssasnow7 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies