Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Personal property tax issues in the online questionnaires? Says PPT is rare (I wish) and that I didn't pay any last year. Plus link in the help goes to income, not PPT.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Personal property tax issues in the online questionnaires? Says PPT is rare (I wish) and that I didn't pay any last year. Plus link in the help goes to income, not PPT.

If you itemize deductions on your federal tax return, you may be able to claim a deduction for the personal property taxes you've paid.

When you can deduct personal property tax

If you end up paying personal property taxes to your local government, the IRS allows you to claim a deduction for it on your federal tax return. However, the IRS requires you to satisfy certain requirements, regardless of how your government classifies the tax.

To claim the deduction, the tax must only apply to personal property you own, be based on its value and be charged on an annual basis, irrespective of when the government collects it from you. Therefore, if the state only charges the tax at the time you purchase the property then it does not meet the IRS definition of a deductible personal property tax.

How to deduct personal property taxes

Paying a personal property tax is not always enough to claim the deduction. In addition to satisfying the IRS requirements, you must also be eligible to itemize, since this is the only way you can claim the deduction.

To determine whether you are eligible to itemize, simply add up all of your eligible itemized deductions for the year, such as medical expenses, charitable contributions and mortgage interest payments. If the total is more than the standard deduction you can claim for your filing status, then go ahead and itemize and take a deduction for your personal property tax payments.

Beginning in 2018, deductions for state and local taxes, including personal property taxes, are capped at $10,000 per tax return. Prior to 2018, there is not a cap for these deductions, although large amounts of these deductions can cause you to be subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax and therefor offset a large deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies