turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Other Income Taxes

Category -  Deductions /Estimates and Other Deductions/Other Income Taxes.

System has generated an amount of $7,334 under Other Income Taxes. I can't justify that amount and don't know where it came from.  However, The Federal and State returns appear accurate without the use of this amount.  ??????????????

Long-term Turbo Tax user,

John C Scheffey

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Other Income Taxes

The Other Income Taxes summarizes ALL of the taxes you have paid either directly or through withholdings on Forms such as W2s, 1099s, etc for both your federal and state returns.  For example, that number would include both of your Federal and state withholdings from your W2s.  It can also include local taxes, refunds applied to this year's taxes from a prior year, balances due from prior years that were paid in this year, and payments made with any extension you might file.

While it shows under Deductions and Credits, it’s actually just a summary number and not necessarily related to any particular deduction .

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

24 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Other Income Taxes

The Other Income Taxes summarizes ALL of the taxes you have paid either directly or through withholdings on Forms such as W2s, 1099s, etc for both your federal and state returns.  For example, that number would include both of your Federal and state withholdings from your W2s.  It can also include local taxes, refunds applied to this year's taxes from a prior year, balances due from prior years that were paid in this year, and payments made with any extension you might file.

While it shows under Deductions and Credits, it’s actually just a summary number and not necessarily related to any particular deduction .

Other Income Taxes

I am having the same problem. "Other income taxes" is showing some unidentified number and I have no withholding. I use only estimated taxes to cover my tax bill. My estimated taxes for federal and state are shown correctly on the "estimates" line. My additional problem is that it appears the "other income taxes" number is throwing my Iowa return way off and I see no way to correct the numbers on the Iowa return, Schedule A, Line 4 smart worksheet. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Other Income Taxes

It took me good portions of two days but I have it corrected. Don't ask me how I got it corrected but I was able to back into an area that I was able to zero out the buckets. Late last year I was using the 2018 TurboTax to project the 2019 taxes. What happened was the 2019 Turbo Tax went back and picked up some "carryover numbers" from my projected 2018 TurboTax. All I can say is if anyone is having problems with the "Other Income Taxes" line, it may be some kind of carryover.

brolfejohn
Returning Member

Other Income Taxes

On the Taxes Paid section, TurboTax shows ovSecer $8,000 paid for "other taxes".  I don't believe I entered any such amount anywhere (my federal withheld taxes, entered from my 1099-R forms, total some $7.8 thousand, but those are already reflected in the Taxes Withheld screen).  Please explain. 

Second question:  You have total income exceeding $80,000 and a Standard Deduction of $27,000, but zero taxable income and zero tax liability!  Please explain. 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Other Income Taxes

Review your entries in taxes paid.

• Under the Federal menu, choose Deductions & Credits
  • Expand the menu for Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Estimated Tax Payments and Income Taxes Paid to review the information reported

We cannot see your return on this forum, but to review your tax summary and see your calculations, follow these steps:

• From the menu on the left, choose Tax Tools
  • Click on Tools
  • Click View Tax Summary
  • On the left, choose Preview my 1040
  • Scroll through the 1040 and review your AGI, taxable income, and tax liability on lines 8b, 11b, and 12b respectively.
jhhedges

Other Income Taxes

I like your definition: "other taxes" = a summary of all taxes reported from W2, 1099, etc.

However, the TuboTax program defines it at:  "State and local taxes that were withheld during 2019 but not reported on Form W-2, 1099, W-2G, etc. For example, state and local taxes that were withheld when you completed a real estate transaction.

When I look at my 2018 return, all my taxes from W2, 1099, etc. were included under "Estimated Taxes".

Please help with the confusion.  Thanks, Jhhedges

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Other Income Taxes

Other income taxes include.

1. Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099
  2. Balance due on your 2018 state taxes paid in 2019
  3. Balance due on your 2018 local taxes paid in 2019
  4. Payments for 2017 or a prior year state or local income taxes paid in 2019

There is a section in your Tax Return that asks if you have other income taxes that you paid. if you made those payments above, you will report these. 

• federal>deductions and credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>income taxes paid

Zj3

Other Income Taxes

Does the other taxes apply to c corporation 1120  whereby the federal tax due of 2019 has been paid in 2020. Would this payment of taxes due for 2019 be reported in the returns of 2020? It is not the estimated tax for 2020. It is the tax due for 2019

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Other Income Taxes

No.  

While it shows under Deductions and Credits, it’s actually just a summary number and not necessarily related to any particular deduction . Per @ReginaM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Other Income Taxes

@Cynthiad66 does that mean if I owed, say, $1,000 last spring, that I can add that amount here?

Other Income Taxes

A prior year federal balance due paid is NOT reported on a federal return but may be on a state return.  A prior year state balance due it entered in the federal section and may be an itemized deduction. 

Other Income Taxes

Other Income Taxes - I have a much larger problem! The System generated my Other Income taxes to be $407,382.00.  Someone NEEDS to fix this NOW.

Other Income Taxes

I have tried everything I could to reenter the data as "00.0" but NOTHING changes

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Other Income Taxes

@trbertoldi It sounds like you may have made an error when you entered all of your withholding taxes. This number represents all Federal and state withholdings from your W2s, W2C, or 1099 G from unemployment. Check all these forms that you entered into your return against your paper copy of these forms to see if there was error made.  Check both federal, state, and possibly local withheld on the forms to see if there was a typing error made.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies