`

If I paid medical expenses but collected on a settlement that covered the expenses, can I still deduct them?

I was told that the money from the settlement was not taxable. It was a civil Lawsuit...?

Intuit Approved!

No, you cannot deduct medical expenses for which you have been paid. Any medical expenses that have not been covered by the settlement are deductible, though.

As to the settlement itself... if your civil lawsuit is relate to physical injuries it is non-taxable.  This includes awards for compensatory damages, including lost wages received as a result of the physical injury. However, punitive damages, emotional distress or mental anguish, employment discrimination or injury to reputation are generally taxable and should be reported as “other income” online 21, form 1040. For more information on Settlements and their taxability, please click here.

If your settlement is taxable, her is data entry:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  4. Select Miscellaneous Income 1099-A, 1099-C
  5. Scroll down to Other Taxable Income - enter a description and amount; the income will be reported on line 21, Form 1040.

Intuit Approved!

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income

@MargaretL wrote:

No, you cannot deduct medical expenses for which you have been paid.

Can you elaborate on this? How did you make this determination? The IRS Publication 502 "Medical and Dental Expenses" does not explicitly state whether or not you can deduct medical expenses if you received an amount in settlement of a personal injury suit, of which part of that award was for medical expenses. The "Damages for Personal Injuries" section just discusses medical expenses deducted in a previous year and future medical expenses.

@malmstorm If you have been reimbursed for medical expenses through a settlement for personal injury, then there is not a medical expense to deduct. Expenses are recovered in this case. There is no deduction to take because there is no expense.

See this link for more details.

How does this work if you received a settlement- however, that settlement went to pay the lien of medical bills.  So you personally did not gain money- the money was paid from the attorney to the medical lien.

You can only deduct medical expenses that you paid out of pocket. As a similar example, if your medical expenses are covered by insurance, they are not deductible.

Per IRS Publication 502:

You must reduce your total medical expenses for the year by all reimbursements for medical expenses that you receive from insurance or other sources during the year.

IRS Publication 502