Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cplaurin

My husband is my caregiver and gets paid to take care of me through a state program. We were told that we do not have to pay taxes on his income earned taking care of me. I’m wondering if we shou

Should Claim it under non-taxable income or regular income?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
HelenaC

My husband is my caregiver and gets paid to take care of me through a state program. We were told that we do not have to pay taxes on his income earned taking care of me. I’m wondering if we shou

Entering it using my instructions will show up as regular or other income.
HelenaC

Per IRS Family Caregivers : family caregivers must report the full amount of the payment on line 21, Other Income, of Form 1040.

To enter your 1099-Misc form from Non-employee compensation on the 1099-MISC Summary screen.

1. Sign in to TurboTax and select Take me to my return.
  2. Search for 1099-misc.
  3. Select the Jump to 1099-misc link in the search results.
  4. Select Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
  5. If you need to enter another 1099-MISC, select Add Another 1099-MISC to enter a new one.
  6. Enter the information from your 1099-MISC.
  7. If your form has an amount in more than one box, you’ll need to enter them as separate 1099-MISC forms. We’ll help you with that.
  8. On the Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC screen, enter a reason then Continue.
  9. On the Does one of these uncommon situations apply? screen, select None of these apply then Continue.
  10. On the Did the XXX involve work that’s like your main job? screen, select No, it didn’t involve work like my main job then Continue.
  11. On the How often did you get income from XXX? screen, select I got it in 2018 then Continue.
  12. On the Did the XXX involve an intent to earn money? screen, select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money then Continue.

You can view your 1040 form before you e-file:

1. Sign in to your account and select Take me to my return if you're not already in your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. View your 1040 form by selecting Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.
  4. Scroll down to line 21 to see your Non-employee compensation from 1099-Misc
  5. To get back to your income tax return, select Back in the left menu. 

Hi, I have the similar situation here, last year, I was able to follow the advice to file the tax return without paying the self-employment tax.

However, this year, what I received is 1099-NEC instead of 1099-Misc. 

I am using turbo tax again, but I don't have the same choice as in 1099-Misc.  How should I do it this year so I don't need to pay for the self-employment tax .

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Enter your caregiver income using the following steps (do not enter the Form 1099-NEC).

1. Open your TurboTax return > Under Wages and Income scroll to Miscellaneous Income
  2. Select Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099 > Start or Revisit
  3. Select Yes under Did you receive any other wages > Continue
  4. Continue to screen Enter Source of Other Earned Income > Select Select Employee Compensation that was not reported on a W2 
  5. This walks you through the Form 8919 - enter the required information as you continue 
  6. Select Should have been reported on a W-2 for the dropdown

This will eliminate adding self-employment tax which does not apply.  Keep the 1099-NEC with your tax documents.  (See clarified in later post.)

Follow these steps to remove the income from your tax return.

1. Scroll down the page to the last section titled: Less common Income and click show more;
  2. Select start or update next to the last topic titled Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C;
  3. Scroll down to the last option titled Other reportable income and select start or edit;
  4. When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes then you will make one entry
  5. Enter this description: IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income and enter the W-2 Box 1 amount as a Negative (-) number

When you return to the Wages & Income page, scroll to see the negative income beside Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C; This will remove the income on your return for the IHSS or other payments received by an individual care provider under a state Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Waiver program.

​​​​​​​[Edit 02/07/2021 | 5:40 AM PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the answer and help.

I want to make sure that I don't make mistake in filing the tax return.

The 1099-NEC is from the home service company through the state program for caring for my eldly father. So is this income exempt from tax, or just exempt from self employment tax.

1)Based on my underdstanding, it seems I need to pay the income tax but exempt from self employment tax, if so, how should I proceed?

2)Based on your suggestion, it seems I don't need to pay for the income tax for this income from 1099-NEC by putting the negative number of income to cancel out the Other income I input?

Thanks for your help.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to pay income tax or self-employment tax. If this is paid under the state program it should fall under the IRS Notice 2014-7.  This means that the income is not subject to tax and is allowed to be subtracted out using the steps I provided.  

Excerpt from the notice: This notice provides that certain payments received by an individual care provider under a state Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Waiver (Medicaid waiver) program, described in this notice, are difficulty of care payments excludable under § 131 of the Internal Revenue Code.

The IRS must want to track these payments since the payer is required to issue the tax documents, but this is not a new tax treatment of these earnings. Use the following ink for more information: Certain Medicaid Waiver Payments May be Excludable from Income

Hal_Al
Level 15

One requirement, for the income exclusion, is that it must be paid through a "Medicaid Waiver Program".   Another requirement is that you live with the care recipient .

A W-2 is usually issued for these type of payments. Sometimes a 1099-Misc.  The 1099-NEC is new this year, so  the home service company  may or may not be right to issue it.  You may want to ask them if the program you are in qualifies for notice 2014-7.

A new development is that even if it is not taxable, the income may qualify for the Earned Income Credit. See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-do-i-qualify-for-eic-if-i-had...

Thanks for the reply.

We do live together. I need to find out if it is paid through a medicaid waiver program, as far as I know, they go through all the process to qualify my father to receive the benefit from medicaid service. What place I should go ask, and what specific question I should ask?

One more question, will the 1099-NEC is good enough for claim the income exclusion, or I need to ask the home care service for W-2? I think asking for a w-2 will be hard to do.

Thanks for all of your helping.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can contact whoever issued the 1099-NEC to you - the payer info should be up in the left corner.   It is doubtful they will issue a W-2, but if you confirm the payment is eligible for the special treatment, that can be done with the 1099-NEC.  There are instructions above to report and exclude the income from all taxes.   

As stated above though, if the income qualifies you for a higher Earned Income credit, you can choose to include the income for the purposes of claiming the credit.  @davidruan7

Hal_Al
Level 15

If this income had been reported on a W-2, wouldn't FICA tax have been withheld? I think it is subject to FICA, even if it can be excluded for income tax.

In @DianeW777  description of how to enter, you encounter a screen "Enter Source of Other Earned Income".

Your choices are "Employee Compensation that was not reported on a W-2" or "Other".  If you choose  "Employee Compensation that was not reported on a W-2", form 8919 will be generated to calculate FICA tax. If you choose "Other" the income will go on line 1 of form 1040 as earned income, but no FICA will be charged.

Thanks for the help on how to file this income to exclude it as taxable income.

I want to ask if  I can just file the 1099-NEC as it is received in turbotax, and then in the bussiness expense section(I assume that will create a schedule C), write the same amount as expense and add that as: Qualified Medicaid waiver payments exclusion (Notice 2014-7).

Will this be also a way to do it, if so, compare to the way you suggested, which one is better, and any reason for that?

Really appreciate your help.

@DianeW777 

Hi, @DianeW777 

one more problem,  I just tried to use your way to report the income from 1099-NEC as the miscellaneous income, however, it shows it can not be more than $2200. So it seems it won't work this way.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks.

@Hal_Al wrote:

If this income had been reported on a W-2, wouldn't FICA tax have been withheld? I think it is subject to FICA, even if it can be excluded for income tax.

Not in all situations.  If the recipient is considered the employer, the employee is a Household Employee.  As such, FICA does not apply to spouses, certain children or parents, or people paid less than the $2200-ish (or whatever the amount is now).

See Question #12, and the referenced other questions:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/certain-medicaid-waiver-payments-may-be-excludable-from-income

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes the method below should be used. No.  Schedule C is not the appropriate place to enter this income. 

Follow the steps below to enter the income which as a change.  I agree with @Hal_Al, it is subject to FICA (social security and Medicare taxes). 

1. Open your TurboTax return > Under Wages and Income scroll to Miscellaneous Income
  2. Select Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099 > Start or Revisit
  3. Select Yes under Did you receive any other wages > Continue
  4. Continue to screen Enter Source of Other Earned Income Select Employee Compensation that was not reported on a W2
  5. This walks you through the Form 8919 - enter the required information as you continue
  6. Select Should have been reported on a W-2 for the dropdown

Because the IRS ruled that this income does qualify for earned income tax credit (EITC) purposes means the employee portion of social security and Medicare taxes must be paid. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies