turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dsreid58

My brother and I are selling a second home inherited in 2002. We don't know how much the cabin was worth then. How can we find that out to assess capital gains?

Also, since the profits are split, how do report capital gains?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My brother and I are selling a second home inherited in 2002. We don't know how much the cabin was worth then. How can we find that out to assess capital gains?

2002 or 2020 - sometimes there are typos? this assumes there was no estate return. there's no way to know if the property taxes for 2002 would give a proper valuation. in some places they are supposed to be FMV for others, it's some fraction.  another way is to contact a realtor familiar with property in that area to get a valuation. when you sell, and 1099-S are issued,  see that two are issued. one for each of you for 50% of the proceeds. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A certified appraiser can give you a retroactive appraisal of the home as of the date of death of the person that you inherited it from. That is the best and most accurate way to determine the value, and the easiest to justify in the unlikely event that the IRS questions the valuation.

A real estate appraiser can give you a retroactive appraisal based on historical records.  You will have to pay for this service.  A real estate agent could give you a guess/estimate, but an appraisal would be better proof in case of audit.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies