turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jdbrenda1
Returning Member

My 18 now 19 year old filed for the first timie this year but did not say that he could be claimed so mine got rejected. iPhone he amends will his refund amount change? He also received the stimulus because he was working last year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnS_CPA
Expert Alumni

My 18 now 19 year old filed for the first timie this year but did not say that he could be claimed so mine got rejected. iPhone he amends will his refund amount change? He also received the stimulus because he was working last year.

Very sorry you have to deal with this. This creates a somewhat complicated situation.

The first question that needs to be answered: Does your son qualify as your dependant? If not, then it would appear he filed correctly and you would correct your return by removing him as a dpendant and refiling your return.

Here is a link to help you determine the dependant question:  Top Dependant FAQ's 

Option 1

Do you have a balance due on your return even if claiming your son as a dependant? If so, you want to get your return filed to stop penalties and interest from accruing. Consider removing your son as a dependant and file the return. If your son does qualify as your dependant you can amend your return once he amends his return and correctly answers the question about anyone claiming hime as a dependant.

Option 2

If your return is showing a refund AND your son qualifies as a dependant have your son file an amended return and correctly answer the dependancy question. Once his return is filed, accepted and any balance due is paid THEN you can refile your return claiming your son as a dependant. 

Note that option 1 is going to overstate your total tax. Depending on your financial situation you may want to proceed to option 2 instead. However, without detailed knowledge of each return there may be a cost to that option. The main takeaway is, if your son qualifies as your dependant he needs to file an amended return. You will not be able to claim him until that is corrected.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LauraJCPA
Employee Tax Expert

Hi, Jdbrenda!

If you wish to claim your child on your return for 2020, yes, your child will have to amend their return to say they can and will be claimed on another person's return. This may very well change his refund because dependents are ineligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus). You should determine if they still qualify as a dependent of yours to see how the both of you should file.

Here are the tests for a qualifying child:

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.

Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

Here is a link to IRS Publication 501: Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies