turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmf2
Level 1

Mortgage points

Where does one record the full amount of mortgage points paid?  The only options are for amortizing or when there are no points to deduct.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Mortgage points

The tax treatment of points depends on the loan.

If points paid on a mortgage were for the purchase or improvement of a personal residence, they may be deducted in the year they are paid.

Points paid to refinance a home mortgage are not deductible when paid, but must be capitalized and the deduction spread over the life of the loan (amortized). 

Follow these steps to add points paid:

1. Under the Federal menu, choose Deductions & Credits
  2. Click Edit/Add next to Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098)
  3. Click Review next to the correct lender
  4. Verify the lender, click Continue
  5. Answer the question Do any of these uncommon situations apply, click Continue
  6. Verify the entries on the 1098 (this does not include the points) and click Continue
  7. Now you are at the points screen, answer the question appropriately. You will likely choose the first option, We paid points... The mortgage origination date is know based on the information entered on the previous screen for the 1098. Click Continue
  8. On this screen, provide the information about the points you paid. Click Continue.

This question was previously answered by VictoriaD75

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Mortgage points

The tax treatment of points depends on the loan.

If points paid on a mortgage were for the purchase or improvement of a personal residence, they may be deducted in the year they are paid.

Points paid to refinance a home mortgage are not deductible when paid, but must be capitalized and the deduction spread over the life of the loan (amortized). 

Follow these steps to add points paid:

1. Under the Federal menu, choose Deductions & Credits
  2. Click Edit/Add next to Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098)
  3. Click Review next to the correct lender
  4. Verify the lender, click Continue
  5. Answer the question Do any of these uncommon situations apply, click Continue
  6. Verify the entries on the 1098 (this does not include the points) and click Continue
  7. Now you are at the points screen, answer the question appropriately. You will likely choose the first option, We paid points... The mortgage origination date is know based on the information entered on the previous screen for the 1098. Click Continue
  8. On this screen, provide the information about the points you paid. Click Continue.

This question was previously answered by VictoriaD75

Mortgage points

I'm using Turbo Tax Deluxe. I do not see a Edit/Add option next to Mortgage Interest and Refinancing Form, nor a Review next to the correct lender. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Mortgage points

Let's try it this way from the Desktop version.

1. Deductions & Credits
  2. I'll choose what I work on
  3. Under Your Home
  4. Select Mortgage interest, Refinancing ... [Update]
  5. List of lender's names [Edit} the one you want
  6. Option to correct lender's name
  7. Answer None of these apply
  8. Enter your 1098 here
  9. Answer question on points
  10. Continue with questions to the end
Lary1927

Mortgage points

I am using TruboTax Premier and it is not allowing me to deduct the complete value of the points I paid for my home mortgage loan originated in 2019. I have read the requirements for this on the IRS web site and meet all the criteria. How can I "force" TurboTax to NOT amortize the points of the length of the loan.

RCReview

Mortgage points

Same situation for me, how can we fix this issue? TurboTax is not showing the option for me to input the paid pointsPoints Issue.jpg

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Mortgage points

If points paid on a mortgage were for the purchase or improvement of a personal residence, they may be deducted in the year they are paid or amortized.   Are you entering a mortgage statement for a mortgage that originated in 2021?    Looking at your screenshot, it doesn't look that way.   When did you take out the mortgage and pay the points?  

Deductibility of Points

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies