Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical Insurance premiums for dependents

Can I deduct the annual premiums for my Daughters health insurance who is claimed as a dependent on my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you paid the premiums for the health insurance of a dependent, you can deduct the expenses as an itemized deduction on your tax return. Only the amount of all medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your AGI are actually entered as a deduction by TurboTax. If all the itemized deductions add up to more than the standard deduction for your filing status, you should get a tax benefit. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If you paid the premiums for the health insurance of a dependent, you can deduct the expenses as an itemized deduction on your tax return. Only the amount of all medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your AGI are actually entered as a deduction by TurboTax. If all the itemized deductions add up to more than the standard deduction for your filing status, you should get a tax benefit. 

geoharpst

My 87 year old mother-in-law is a legal immigrant that is totally dependent upon us.  We've paid for medical insurance for her for the past 3 years but she doesn't qualify for any ACA assistance and immigrants can't get Medicare for 5 years.  We bought her a plan in 2018 and 2019 that is not on the Healthcare.gov site but it covers what she needs, seems better than the ACA plan from the company and costs less than the ACA plan.  I've gotten a 1095-B but NOT a 1095-A for her.  Should I still deduct the insurance premiums?  If so, should I list a blank 1095-A even though I don't have one?  If I list a blank 1095-A, the refund is about $1400 more than if I delete the blank 1095-A but it doesn't seem right to be blank. 

And, where do I put the insurance premiums?  Right now I have them under Medical Deductions in the "Additional medical insurance premiums" box.  Is that correct?

@geoharpst wrote:

My 87 year old mother-in-law is a legal immigrant that is totally dependent upon us.  We've paid for medical insurance for her for the past 3 years but she doesn't qualify for any ACA assistance and immigrants can't get Medicare for 5 years.  We bought her a plan in 2018 and 2019 that is not on the Healthcare.gov site but it covers what she needs, seems better than the ACA plan from the company and costs less than the ACA plan.  I've gotten a 1095-B but NOT a 1095-A for her.  Should I still deduct the insurance premiums?  If so, should I list a blank 1095-A even though I don't have one?  If I list a blank 1095-A, the refund is about $1400 more than if I delete the blank 1095-A but it doesn't seem right to be blank. 

And, where do I put the insurance premiums?  Right now I have them under Medical Deductions in the "Additional medical insurance premiums" box.  Is that correct?

Where you entered the medical premiums paid for her is the correct location.

You do not enter anything concerning a Form 1095-A since you did not receive a 1095-A.  A Form 1095-B is not entered on a tax return.

geoharpst

Okay, thanks for the speedy reply!

geoharpst

Is there any other tax breaks that apply to us (wife and I) because she's not covered by Medicare?

@geoharpst wrote:

Is there any other tax breaks that apply to us (wife and I) because she's not covered by Medicare?

Since you are claiming her as a dependent there is an Other Dependent Tax Credit of $500 that you are eligible to receive.  That credit would already be applied on your tax return after she was added as a dependent.  Other then that and the medical expenses you paid and were entered as itemized deduction, that is all that is available.

geoharpst

Got it and thanks, again!  Time to file!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies