Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Live in NJ and work in NY. Reporting Cafe 125 contributions as wage in NJ return and Health Care premiums as medical deduction in Other Wage Adjustment - W-2

Live in NJ and work in NY  so (box 1 and 16 are same amount) 

For NJ return, in "For 'other wage adjustments - w-2", I need to;

- Report all Cafe 125 contributions (health care premium/dental/vision/fsa/commuter) as wage

Medical Expenses section;

- Report health care premium as Medical Deduction under "New Jersey medical insurance premiums included in your New Jersey wages but not in your..."

Is this correct? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Live in NJ and work in NY. Reporting Cafe 125 contributions as wage in NJ return and Health Care premiums as medical deduction in Other Wage Adjustment - W-2

Yes, report all Cafeteria Section 125 contributions as income for New Jersey(NJ) taxable income.  Medical insurance premiums are pretax for federal but after tax for the state, so they can be added to the medical expense deduction on the New Jersey tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
raltmann2020
Returning Member

What about unspent medical Flex Spending Account funds?  For example, if my employer withheld $1,000, but I only spent $700 in the same year; and I spend the remaining 300 the following January?  How much can be included in my NJ itemized medical expenses?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did your employer allow a carryover of your health FSA funds? That is, to which year did these $300 in FSA funds spent in January belong: 2023 or 2024?

raltmann2020
Returning Member

Yes.  I carried over the $300 from 2023 to 2024, and spent it in January 2024.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Then the $300 belongs on your 2024 return. We individual taxpayers are generally on a cash basis, that is we report things in the year in which they happen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies