Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Kids living abroad

Hi. I recently got married and my husband is still in the Philippines with our US Citizens children. I support them financially and I filed for my husband's petition recently. Can I claim them on my taxes? I read something on the residence test exemption stating as long as they live with other parent and parents support them, I can claim them. Is that correct?

2 Replies
Level 15

Kids living abroad

Who can I claim as my dependent?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

  • They are related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).***
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

***When filing a joint return the YOU refers to either or both parents.  

Returning Member

Kids living abroad

What are the exceptions? My husband and I are just physically separated but we are married and still together. I support the three of them financially.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings