Hi. I recently got married and my husband is still in the Philippines with our US Citizens children. I support them financially and I filed for my husband's petition recently. Can I claim them on my taxes? I read something on the residence test exemption stating as long as they live with other parent and parents support them, I can claim them. Is that correct?
Who can I claim as my dependent?
You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:
- They are related to you.
- They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
- They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
- They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
- They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
- No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
- They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).***
- They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.
***When filing a joint return the YOU refers to either or both parents.