Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SmithBurn
Returning Member

Income reported on another return

How do I deduct income that will be reported on another return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Please clarify and describe in detail exactly what you mean.

SmithBurn
Returning Member

My husband died in 2020, and I am just now filing my 2021 return (with an extension).  I am also having to file a 1040 for the income for his estate (with extension), and I want to deduct the income showing on his estate return from my return so I don't pay twice on that amount.  I was told something about entering a negative amount on a "payee entry" using his estate EIN to pull the money out of my return, but I can't find how to do that.

Why ever would you report it on 2 returns ?   Either it goes on the estate or yours not both.  So is the income reported in his name, your name or the estate ?   Was it earned before he passed or after. 

SmithBurn
Returning Member

Income earned in 2020 was reported on a joint return then.  2021 income from investments was reported on both my return and on his estate return.  My husband and I always used TT for our and family returns, but I was referred to a CPA for his estate income return, and he suggested this way to avoid being taxed twice on the same income. 

Again the income should only be reported ONCE on one return or the other not both so go back to the CPA and ask him why he thinks it would be taxed twice.   If the broker accounts were yours only once he passed then all the income belongs on your return only.  Talk to a local tax pro who can see what you have and advise you better. 

Sorry about your husband. there may be something else since it isn't clear what income you're referring to. if the asset creating the income was jointly owned or owned with the right of survivorship, then most likely you automatically became the owner upon his death and are the one that needs to report the income on your income tax return and not the estate's 1041.  since he died in 2020 and we're talking about 2021 income as @Critter-3 stated it only gets reported on one return.  if the wrong Tax Identifying Number is on the tax form, it needs to be corrected. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies