Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2023 I contributed full amounts to HSA for both prior year ('22) & current year ('23). How do I get TT to not show excess contribution?

The 2022 contribution was before the 2022 tax deadline (4/11/23 I believe) & the 2023 contribution was made 12/29/23.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In 2023 I contributed full amounts to HSA for both prior year ('22) & current year ('23). How do I get TT to not show excess contribution?

if personal contribution did you enter both years' contribution or just 2023 (the proper amount) 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Who made the contribution in early 2023? You? or your employer?

When you made the "2022 contribution", you needed to make very sure that the HSA custodian understood that the contribution was for tax year 2022. Then, did you enter this contribution into your 2022 return?

If so, I don't see why TurboTax is showing excess contributions. Does it appear that both contributions showed up in 2023?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

if personal contribution did you enter both years' contribution or just 2023 (the proper amount) 

I mistakenly entered both the contribution for 2022 (that was made in April 2023) and the 2023 contribution (made in Dec 2023). After seeing feedback on my question, I verified that I had included the 2022 contribution on my 2022 Tax Return. Once I removed the 2022 contribution, I no longer get a note/error that I overcontributed to 2023 HSA.

Additional info: I am self-employed and made single contributions (separately) for the full amount for each calendar year.

I did enter both years. I verified that I had already entered the 2022 contribution with my 2022 return. Once I removed the 2022 contribution, TT no longer showed an excess contribution for 2023.

I am self-employed, so both contributions were made personally. I mistakenly entered both the contribution for 2022 (that was made in April 2023) and the 2023 contribution (made in Dec 2023). After seeing feedback on my question, I verified that I had included the 2022 contribution on my 2022 Tax Return. Once I removed the 2022 contribution, I no longer get a note/error that I overcontributed to 2023 HSA.

Additional info: I am self-employed and made single contributions (separately) for the full amount for each calendar year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies