Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099MISC form for providing care for my mother in my home, can I deduct the expenses associated (transportation, food, utilities, etc). If so, where do I enter the information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I received a 1099MISC form for providing care for my mother in my home, can I deduct the expenses associated (transportation, food, utilities, etc). If so, where do I enter the information?

No, you can't deduct expenses against income reported on Form 1099-MISC. You should report the income on line 21 of Form 1040.  Please go to Federal Taxes>Wages & Income>Less Common Income>Miscellaneous Income>Other Reportable Income to report this income.

Family Caregivers

Hi, I found the answer and it does not agree with you answer to my question. Schedule E links the money reported on the 1099 MISC form to Schedule E. On Schedule E you can list expenses against the misc income.

Schedule E is for reporting income from rentals and royalties.  

The 1099-MISC can be reported as one for for the 1099-MISC and a second entry to adjust for the expenses.

• Less Common Income
  • Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Other reportable income

To report the expenses associated with the 1099-MISC

@phillip_nc

• Less Common Income
  • Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Other reportable income
  • Enter the 1099-MISC information, but in place of the amount you were paid, enter the amount of the expenses with a minus sign in front of the number and a description of adjustment for expenses for 1099-MISC.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies