Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jplyons8

I own undeveloped real estate as an investment. can i deduct any expenses: association dues, maintenance fees, property taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I own undeveloped real estate as an investment. can i deduct any expenses: association dues, maintenance fees, property taxes?

You may deduct your property taxes as part of Schedule A, itemized deductions.  The other expenses are not deductible for an undeveloped investment property.  

@jplyons8

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

The carrying costs (e.g.  repairs, insurance & utilities) of investment property are not deductible, staring with tax year 2018. Real estate (property) tax may be deducted on schedule  A, under taxes, without regard to the old 2% rule.

Alternatively, taxpayers can elect to capitalize (add it to your cost basis)  the carrying costs of unimproved and nonproductive real property, real property under development or construction and personal property before its installation or use (Regs. Sec. 1.266-1(b)(1)).  The election is made with the tax return by its due date, including extension, by attaching a statement. You cannot wait until you sell the property, but must make that election each year. Attach the statement to the return and write “Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2” on the statement. You may add the carrying costs, incurred in the year of sale, to your cost basis. 

Mortgage interest is only deductible to the extent of other investment income and not subject to the 2% of AGI rule,  but can be capitalized. 

You cannot amend to claim capitalization. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/is-it-possible-to-amend-taxes-fo...

Prior to 2018, carrying costs could alternatively be deducted as investment expenses, a misc. itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI threshold. So, filing  amended returns for earlier years is an option.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies