turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owe back federal taxes, but I claimed my Recovery Rebate Credit for both stimulus checks when I filed this yrs taxes for my 3 dependents, will the irs take my $ ? Or no

On the irs site that u can check ur refund status, it says my refund might be taken for back taxes .. but I’m guessing that a standard system notification - and I was under the assumption that the RRC wouldn’t go to past federal tax debt owed
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I owe back federal taxes, but I claimed my Recovery Rebate Credit for both stimulus checks when I filed this yrs taxes for my 3 dependents, will the irs take my $ ? Or no

No.

It is my understanding that the stimulus portion will not be reduced. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, the IRS is able to take it. 

Although they were not allowed to take the Advance credit (EIP), they ARE allowed to take it if you claim the Recovery Rebate on your tax return.

according to the FAQ, if you have a refund of 2200, and Line 30 is $1800, then $400 can be taken for back taxes.

If you have no refund, then you get nothing.

Fanfare, what FAQ says that?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies