Where do I enter New York State teacher union dues for NYS taxes?

Union dues will be entered in your Federal portion of TurboTax, and then automatically transfer over to your New York return. 

To get to this screen, follow the instructions below: 

When logged into Turbo Tax: 

1.) Click Federal

2.) Deductions & Credits

3.) Employment Expenses

4.) Job Expenses for W-2 Income

5.) Click Yes to having these types of expenses, and then answer the questions that follow

6.) When you arrive at the screen that says Any other expenses? Enter your Union Dues here. 

Unfortunately, while union dues are technically 100% deductible this year, they are only such if you Itemize your returns on your New York state return. 

If your Standard Deduction is still higher than the sum of all of your Itemized Deductions, it will automatically apply your standard deduction on line 34 of your New York IT-201 return in order to give you the most benefit. This is why you might not see anything change when you enter this information. 

When logged into Turbo Tax: 

1.) Click Federal

2.) Deductions & Credits

3.) Employment Expenses

4.) Job Expenses for W-2 Income

TurboTaxChristieB: Perhaps you can answer this related question?
Can a RETIRED NYC teacher deduct union dues (I am itemizing on my NY return)? If yes, great, but if no, would I subsequently not be required to report any medical reimbursements I received as a result of my union membership (dental, glasses, hearing aids)?
BTW - the union dues deduction is, as of 2/22, not carrying over from the Fed Misc Dedns form to the NYS return if they are entered on the form vs. by the step-by-step interview. The numbers need to be entered directly onto IT-196 Line 21.
Thanks !

I entered union dues where you said in Federal, and it transferred to NY State, but it also left them on my Federal return where union dues are no longer allowed for W-2 Income. How do I add them to State but not Federal?

I'm not an expert, but if you add union dues to the fed return they will be disallowed. If you don't want to take any chances, don't enter them onto the fed return at all. Just enter them directly onto NYS IT-196 Line 21 (you'll need to do this from the FORMS view).

Thank you for your prompt answer. I didn't think to insert it on the Forms view.
As it turned out, without the union dues, my employee expenses didn't quite exceed 2% so none of my employee expenses ended up on the Federal return after all. However, TurboTax did transfer them to the state return. (NY State allows you to itemize on the state even if you didn't on the Federal.).
It really sucks that the new tax act took away all of those deductions. I have less than half the deductions I was able to take last year and my taxable income is more than double.

I'm using TurboTax FreeFile Online Edition, and I really can't find a way to do this!

There is no 'Forms' view in this edition.  There is a section on the Federal itemized deductions for Job-Related expenses, but Union Dues is not specifically listed and instead must be entered into a free-form textbox on the last screen for "Other Job-Related Expenses."

I'm aware the 2018 federal tax law changes eliminated the Union Dues miscellaneous itemized deduction (which was also subject to the 2% AGI limit).  But New York not only did not adopt the federal tax law changes, not only now allows you itemize deductions on the state return even if you didn't, but it also added an itemized deduction "Addition Adjustment" on Form IT-196 Line 44 to get a deduction on the 2% AGI floor disallowed amount on 4 special categories of miscellaneous itemized deduction (which includes Union Dues)!  However, it seems TurboTax FreeFile edition has no way to access this form to enter the amount.

Maybe I'm missing something?  It seems TurboTax didn't make provisions for this special handling by NY.