turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have total Itemized Deductions of $29,697 (joint tax return with my wife), yet Turbotax selects the Standard Deduction of $24,800. Tried overriding but cannot. Why?

Why is TT defaulting to the Standard Deduction for our joint return when the itemized expenses for Schedule A are nearly $5K more? TT is not allowing me to select Itemized Deduction to override either. Very strange.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I have total Itemized Deductions of $29,697 (joint tax return with my wife), yet Turbotax selects the Standard Deduction of $24,800. Tried overriding but cannot. Why?

It may be that the total of your itemized deductions is more than the allowable itemized deductions. For instance, you can only deduct $10,000 of state income/property taxes as itemized deductions on your federal return. Also, medical expenses are only deductible to the extent they are over 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income.

So, it may be that your allowable itemized deductions are less than your standard deduction, but your total itemized deductions are more.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thomas,

Check out the screen capture below which shows what I mean. TTax is defaulting to the Standard Deduction for a married couple of $24,800, but why would TTax ignore the larger itemized amount? TT seems to have a bug in here, since while it shows me that larger itemized amount, it will not allow me to select that (and it even ignores the $29, 727!). Appreciate any guidance or feedback.

tt screen capture.jpg

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

There is another possibility, that your income is low and that your standard deduction is sufficient to eliminate it. Also, if that is all you withheld, that is all you would get back, apart from refundable credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies