turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have already filed for 2020 and discovered that I did make $650 in donations to charity. Does anyone know if we can claim the $300 credit in 21 for 20's tax return?

The cares act provides a $300 credit if you do not itemize.  This year, the standard deduction was more than my itemizations so I looked for donations but forgot those I made through my paycheck.  I've already filed.  I know I can amend but not sure if the additional refund would be worth it.  Looking to see if we can carry over this credit to 2021?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have already filed for 2020 and discovered that I did make $650 in donations to charity. Does anyone know if we can claim the $300 credit in 21 for 20's tax return?

No, you can’t carry over the credit. FYI in 2021 the maximum donation goes up from $300 to $600 for married filing jointly. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, you can't claim 2020 deductions on your 2021 return.  If you did not itemize your deductions, and you made cash contributions to a qualified charity, then you can claim an above the line deduction of up to $300.  If you've already filed your return, then you will have to file an amended return to take the deduction.  To amend with TurboTax, see the following Help Article:

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies