Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got new windows last year and this year. I got a 350 credit This year i can't find a place to put windows or my new garage door. Is it not a deduction this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I got new windows last year and this year. I got a 350 credit This year i can't find a place to put windows or my new garage door. Is it not a deduction this year?

To enter your energy credit, follow the steps below.

You can enter them in the Deductions & Credits section:

1. Open or continue your return, if you don't already have it open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for energy improvements. (Don't search for energy credit as this will take you to the wrong place.)
  3. Click the Jump to link in the search results.
  4. At the bottom of the Energy-Saving Home Improvements screen, answer Yes and continue. Follow the instructions.
    1. Page 1 of the interview covers solar, geothermal, wind, and fuel cell. If you're looking for other improvements, like doors, windows, furnace, air conditioning, or heat pump, just keep going to the next page.

If you made energy-efficient improvements to your home like energy-saving roofs, windows, skylights, and doors, you'll be able to claim the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit for 10% of amounts paid for qualified energy efficiency improvements, up to a lifetime cap of $500 or fixed dollar amounts ranging from $50 to $300 for energy-efficient property, including furnaces, boilers, biomass stoves, heat pumps, water heaters, central air conditioners, and circulating fan.

Thank you so much. Do you know how to figure out cost without labor? I wrote the people at home depot and another window company and they keep sending me the invoice. That is just  whole cost. I guess they don't like you to know their end is much larger than the window but that's the case with anything. I tried looking the window up to buy but it said "contractor sign in"  ; /  I guess I'll have to keep trying.

Thank you again,

Deb

Not sure how you got $350, as $200 is the maximum lifetime Federal tax credit for windows.

What Is the IRS Form 5695? - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos (intuit.com)

I'm sorry, I got to carry that over for this year.

But there is no carryover for that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies