Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tisha341

I don't understand my HSA contribution - Box 12 has 12a, 12b, 12c and 12d. Which one shows my personal contribution to my HSA - not what my employer contributed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I don't understand my HSA contribution - Box 12 has 12a, 12b, 12c and 12d. Which one shows my personal contribution to my HSA - not what my employer contributed

On your W-2, Box 12 with code W indicates "Employer contributions to Health Savings Account."

Even though it says "employer" contributions, it is the sum of the amounts that your employer contributed to your HSA AND that you contributed through a payroll deduction plan.  There is no breakdown of what you contributed and what your employer contributed.

For more information on the codes listed in Box 12 of your W-2, please see the following FAQ:  What do the letter codes in Box 12 of my W-2 mean?

[Edited | 3/10/2020 |  10:22am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

34 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

On your W-2, Box 12 with code W indicates "Employer contributions to Health Savings Account."

Even though it says "employer" contributions, it is the sum of the amounts that your employer contributed to your HSA AND that you contributed through a payroll deduction plan.  There is no breakdown of what you contributed and what your employer contributed.

For more information on the codes listed in Box 12 of your W-2, please see the following FAQ:  What do the letter codes in Box 12 of my W-2 mean?

[Edited | 3/10/2020 |  10:22am PDT]

So my annual income was reduced by the amount I put into a HSA, however then I am required to put in box 12 letter W my contribution and the employers contribution to the HSA.  When I insert the amount in box 12 letter W it reduces my tax refunds.  I thought HSA was supposed to be non taxed but it looks like it is actually just taxed at end of year.  What am I missing?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The most common error I see when entering HSA contributions are double reporting. Typically, these payroll contributions are reported on your W-2 in box 12 with code W. If that is the case, no other contribution needs to be reported in the software.

Under the Deductions & Credits menu, confirm the following:

• Expand the menu for Medical
  • Click Start/Revisit next to HSA, MSA Contributions
  • Confirm the account ownership and click Continue
  • Continue in through the screens until you reach Let's enter your HSA contributions
  • Stop here. If all of your contributions were through payroll deductions and reported on your W2, do not enter anything on this screen. If that is the case, either leave the box empty or type $0 in the box next to Any contributions you personally made

If it turns out you did have an excess contribution, the following applies. Generally, you must pay a 6% excise tax on excess contributions. See Form 5329, Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans (Including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts, to figure the excise tax. The excise tax applies to each tax year the excess contribution remains in the account.

You may withdraw some or all of the excess contributions and avoid paying the excise tax on the amount withdrawn if you meet the following conditions.

• You withdraw the excess contributions by the due date, including extensions, of your tax return for the year the contributions were made.
  • You withdraw any income earned on the withdrawn contributions and include the earnings in "Other income" on your tax return for the year you withdraw the contributions and earnings.

Pub 969 Tax-Favored Health Plans

fangle56

I may be misunderstanding this response here but it seems that this link's response contradicts yours.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/aren-t-hsa-contributions-pretax-why-does-my-...

From what i gathered, after you enter when you contributed and verify that you do indeed have a HSA and all purchases were tax deductible, at this point, you will then see the refund go back up.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Your HSA contribution will have a code 'W" in one of those boxes in box 12. I hope this answers your question. 

What are the codes on box 12

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Please check the link below for what the codes in box 12 mean.

What do the letter codes in Box 12 of my W-2 mean?

VictoriaD75 - Your answer just saved me ~$400. I was doing exactly what you said. Adding again what I've already added before in the W2.

I was adding the same value in the field. "Any contributions you personally made (not through your employer)".

Thanks

I contributed to my HSA via payroll deduction, but it is not listed in Box 12. I only have 12D and 12DD. 

I'm confused about the page that says Let's enter your HSA contributions.

There are two boxes: 2020 employer and payroll contributions (box 12) and Any contributions you personally made.

The first box automatically pulled in 0 (If you don't see an amount here, it's because you haven't finished your W-2 info, or you didn't have any HSA contributions through your employer this year.)

Do I manually enter my HSA contributions (even though they were through payroll deduction) if I do not have a line item for box 12W?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Is the amount reported in Box 14 by any chance?   If so, you need to know if the deductions were done pre-tax or post-tax and you may need a corrected W-2.   The amount that both you and your employer contributed to your HSA account should be reflected in Box 12 with a code W.   These amounts are not taxed and should not be included in your gross income in Box 1.  Where you enter them and how it affects your tax return is dependent on how the deductions were handled by your employer.    The first box says 0 because there is no entry with a code W in box 12.   And if they were deducted post-tax, then you need to take a deduction as those amounts are not taxable, but only your employer is going to be able to answer that for you.  

Are you sure these were HSA contributions and not HRA or FSA deductions?     In order to contribute to a health savings account (HSA), you must be enrolled in a high deductible health plan (HDHP).    If they are not HSA contributions, then you don't need to go through that section.   @jessica293

It is not listed in Box 14. It is definitely an HSA. When I look at old pay stubs, it is listed as a pre-tax deduction. And, when I do the math, I can see that the amount I contributed was deducted from my taxable wages on the W2. It just isn't listed anywhere on the W2. Does this mean I should not input the amount of my contributions in "Any contributions you personally made." on the page that says "Let's enter your HSA contributions"?

@jessica293 wrote:
It is not listed in Box 14. It is definitely an HSA. When I look at old pay stubs, it is listed as a pre-tax deduction. And, when I do the math, I can see that the amount I contributed was deducted from my taxable wages on the W2. It just isn't listed anywhere on the W2. Does this mean I should not input the amount of my contributions in "Any contributions you personally made." on the page that says "Let's enter your HSA contributions"?

Correct, do not enter them as personal contributions.  You already got the benefit of reduced taxes (because your taxable income is reduced) so you don't get a separate deduction.  You also need a corrected W-2 from your employer.  

If you do not get a corrected W-2, then in the future, when the HSA contributions reported on your tax return don't match the contributions reported on form 5498, the IRS may send a letter.  You will want to be able to explain the situation to them.  So you may want to keep any pay stubs that show the salary reduction, a copy of a salary reduction agreement, if you have one, and a copy of your letter to your employer asking for a corrected W-2.  (Other employees are probably in the same situation.)

saratogad

Not helpful.  I need to know the EMPLOYER contribution, not mine.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You will need to contact the employer to find out what amount in Box 12 is his contribution. Box 12-W  is the sum of the amounts that your employer contributed to your HSA AND that you contributed through a payroll deduction plan.  There is no breakdown of what you contributed and what your employer contributed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies