Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How does profit earned on your primary residence effect eligibility for EIC?

Greetings!

I may be selling a property during 2021, I purchased this property in 2014, lived there from July 2014 until October 2018, we then moved to a new home. We are now possibly going to be selling the property in 2021. We will likely make a profit of $15,000+ on the sale of the home. I would like to know how this will affect my eligibility for the Earned Income Credit when I file my taxes in Jan 2022.

I believe we will be exempt from capital gains because we lived in the property for two of the previous five years, for example, if the property sells in July 2021, if we go back five years from that date would put us at July 2016, we lived in the home from July 2014 all the way until October 2018, so I believe we would satisfy the two of the last five years requirement to avoid capital gains tax on this property since we'll be making far less profit than the allowed threshold. My only concern is how this will affect our eligibility for the EIC. Since we will be making more than a $3500 profit in unearned income (or whatever the allowed unearned income is for EIC eligibility is) will that void our eligibility for the credit, or does this not count since this will not be taxable income?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time and consideration!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since there will be no capital gain to be reported on the federal tax return your EIC will not be affected by the sale of the home.

Reporting the sale on the federal tax return the gain reported will be 0 on the Form 1040 Line 7.  So you will not be affected by the Investment Income limit.

See the Investment Income worksheet in Publication 596 Earned Income Credit (EIC) on page 6 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p596.pdf#page=6

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Since there will be no capital gain to be reported on the federal tax return your EIC will not be affected by the sale of the home.

Reporting the sale on the federal tax return the gain reported will be 0 on the Form 1040 Line 7.  So you will not be affected by the Investment Income limit.

See the Investment Income worksheet in Publication 596 Earned Income Credit (EIC) on page 6 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p596.pdf#page=6

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Note also that the limit for investment income has been raised to $10,000 for 2021. 

what happened to the property after you moved out in 2018?  was it rented or left vacant?  if rented was it t a family member or friend at below market value? 

if it was vacant, you can ignore this thread. 

We've never rented it out or anything it has been vacant the entire time. Thanks for bringing this up though, will likely be helpful for others!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies