Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I remove a second state on a return?

I am doing my return and also my mother' (deceased) return.  I had a 1099-R for an RMD and typed that in her return.  Her state is Delaware.  I realized that the RMD was sent to me after her death.  I deleted that 1099-R from her return to mine as I now have her IRA which was rolled over to me as an Inherited IRA.  The problem is that my return is in North Carolina and my moms' return has both Delaware & North Carolina  (keeps telling me that she is a non-resident of North Carolina).  How can I delete North Carolina from her State return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you don't see the option to delete your state (you'll probably see Edit instead), you've already paid your TurboTax fees (including the state fee) or registered your free version while the state was on your return. If you've done either of these things, you can't delete your state return.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you don't see the option to delete your state (you'll probably see Edit instead), you've already paid your TurboTax fees (including the state fee) or registered your free version while the state was on your return. If you've done either of these things, you can't delete your state return.

exoceano
Returning Member

So I have PA as my free state and I bought NY to do my Daughters taxes -  

On my return it is very insistent that  I file for NY -  I have no NY obligations to file - 

How do I delete - your directions  provide door above question don't work here ?

any help

[removed]

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like you are using the Desktop version of the software.

Try the following:

1. Click on the Personal Info tab
  2. You may see a screen that says This is what we've gathered so far.  Next, we'll ask you about your income.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of this screen.  Under Other State Income, select Edit
  4. You will see a screen asking Did Either of You Make Money in Any Other States?  Be sure to select No here.

As long as you do not have any state specific information, you should only need to prepare your state return as needed. 

You also have the option in the File section to deselect the New York return and not file it.

Don't file state now

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Even though I have no income in other states, Turbotax keeps showing errors in 2 other states.  I've tried to delete these state returns in Forms View, but they keep being replaced.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

best answer 

BEST ANSWER !! thank you..this was driving me nuts trying to solve.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies