Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I claim tax rebate for window blinds

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

There is not a federal tax rebate or credit for window blinds.  If your state has a rebate program for the blinds you will have to apply to your state for the rebate.

My receipt says my window blinds qualify for a federal tax credit up to $1200.00. 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I do see where various home interior sites are saying that certain blinds do count for the Home Efficiency Energy Credit.  There is no specific mention of a credit for window blinds or coverings on either the IRS website or the energystar.gov site.   However, it does appear as though the manufacturers are placing this credit under the insulation section of the credit.  

Therefore, if you are going to claim this credit, you would enter it as home insulation.  This credit would be a non-refundable credit worth up to 30% of what you paid for the blinds with a max credit of $1,200. You would have to have your invoice and certification to claim the credit. 

The Home Energy Credit section is not up to date yet.  A release is expected January 31st that will update this section so you will then be able to enter your blinds as a credit under insulation.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lindat16

I put my cost, $2886 for Hunter Douglas shades ( I have all the appropriate info stating they are qualified) under the insulation line. Turo Tax says I am not entitled to a credit. Why?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you took energy credits in prior years than can limit your allowed credit in the current year. Also, you need to have an income tax liability in the current year to be eligible for a credit in the current year. You can subtract line 32 on your Form 1040 from line 24 to determine if you have a tax liability on your federal return.

To view your form 1040 and schedule 1 to 3:

1. Choose Tax Tools from your left menu bar in TurboTax Online
  2. Choose Tools
  3. Choose View Tax Summary
  4. See the Preview my 1040 option in the left menu bar and click on it
  5. Choose the Back option in the left menu bar when you are done 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lindat16

Thanks for your response. I did not take previous tax credit, and I do have tax liability this year.

Any further ideas? Turbo Tax was supposed to be corrected by 1/31/2023.

Thanks - this is the detail that is useful. TurboTax is not yet updated for this credit  as of 2/2 so will return later to see if it has been changed. The obvious missing piece was which type of energy upgrade was made - best guess was insulation but you appear to be sure. 🙂

Lindat16

The issue at the moment is that TT is doing the computation incorrectly, using 10% rather than the 30% allowed. I spoke with them for 40 minutes yesterday and the Tax Expert referred it to whomever for investigation and correction.

@Lindat16 

The Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits for tax year 2023 has not yet been finalized in TurboTax.

The Form 5695 is scheduled to be available in TurboTax on 02/07/2024 (subject to change).

Go to his TurboTax website for forms availability - https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies