Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I override Line 11 of Form 8962 (re the Premium Tax Credit)?

Hi,

I'm in a situation that requires me to enter a different annual SLCSP amount on Line 11.B. than that which appears on my 1095-A, which I was required to enter into TurboTax and which automatically sends its numbers from there to Line 11 of Form 8962. (As a side note, my situation is basically the situation described in Example 4 from 26 CFR § 1.36B-4(a)(4); see also IRS instructions for Form 8962 p 12).

Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to override line 11 in order to enter the correct SLSCP, which, BTW, is the same for each month, hence no need to answer "No" to line 10 and enter amounts for each month - although, incidentally, even if I wanted to do that there doesn't seem to be any way to select "No" in answer to line 10, at least in "forms mode." 😛 

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks. 🙂

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The 1095-A is not part of the tax return.  TurboTax has you enter it merely as a method to fill out Form 8962.

Yes, it is possible the IRS could send a notice asking why the 8962 shows a different amount for the SCLSP as the 1095-A.  Just respond with the facts and how you calculated the correct SLCSP.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Obviously, you cannot override that line. Take a look at the data source.

Thanks for responding TagTeam. 🙂 Would you be willing to elaborate on "take a look at the data source"? The data source is the 1095-A, but I'm in a situation in which the IRS requires a different SLCSP number be entered than that which appears on my 1095-A, such as that described in Example 4 from 26 CFR § 1.36B-4(a)(4) and on page 12 of the IRS instructions for Form 8962 (accidentally said page 22 v. 12 in original post). 

When entering your 1095-A, enter the SLCSP that it SHOULD be, not what the 1095-A actually shows.

Thanks for your input. 🙂 My only concern, won't that confuse the IRS and perhaps lead to a return rejection, if the 1095-A info I enter is different from what shows on the copy of 1095-A that the IRS has been sent?

The 1095-A is not part of the tax return.  TurboTax has you enter it merely as a method to fill out Form 8962.

Yes, it is possible the IRS could send a notice asking why the 8962 shows a different amount for the SCLSP as the 1095-A.  Just respond with the facts and how you calculated the correct SLCSP.

Gotcha. Thanks AmeliesUncle! 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies