turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Form 8936 (2019)

Anyone that received the accepted status two weeks ago move to the refunded status yet (with a date confirmed).  When checking on the IRS app mine shows a page starting with "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."  

Seems like more delays in the process......

Same here, still in process and my wife’s who filed 2 days later is already getting her refund tomorrow.

Mine is still showing processing. Already got my state refund in SC. Was showing a status bar on the where’s my refund page. Now it just shows the message that it is still processing. What a headache this year. 

Exactly the same for me. Got my WI refund 3 days ago but IRS site still in process." IRS site change from video representation of status as received but now I also get the message Nealw described.

Same here.

I read that in the last few years they had a lot of people taking EV credits who weren't supposed to get one, like people leasing or buying used, so they were taking a much closer look at those.  So can't say I'm surprised.  Sure could use that refund though.

I had the EV credit last year on my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and it arrived in the normal 14 days from accepted to direct deposit.  I really wish this process was more streamlined, but hey it is still better than nothing.......

I filed mine on 2/24 and was accepted within hours.  I too show still processing by the IRS.  However, I did receive my California refund just today (3/3/2020), so at least that is encouraging.

jortiz93
Returning Member

I filed my return on 2/14/20 and it was accepted, but it also shows still processing by the IRS. I received my CA refund on 3/3/20 as well. I keep checking everyday to see if it updates, but nothing. Has anyone actually gotten their refund using this form?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jortiz93 I filed on 2/20/2020 because that was the first time the form was actually correct and submitting for me? How did you manage to submit on the 14th, the form on the 14th was calculating incorrectly and shortly afterwards turbotax themselves started rejecting submissions until they got the form corrected. That *might* be why yours is taking longer? Was yours the full $7500, or did you have a partial phase out at $3750 or lower? The full amount would've calculated correctly but the phase out ones were being entered completely wrong by turbotax.

In any case, I filed on 2/20 and it was accepted, and I just got my refund this morning. Still waiting on the CO refund... but that one is another $5k EV credit so could be why it's taking longer, too.

@Anonymous   Good to know your Federal refund deposited today if you filed on 2-20-20 (and Accepted that day).

jortiz93
Returning Member

@Anonymous Mine was for a 2020 Prius Prime. I believe my amount was $4502. I also claimed the child tax credit. Did you claim the child tax credit as well? I heard there may be some delays with that credit, but only until mid Feb.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jortiz93 No, no child tax credit for me. When you filled out the EV details on turbotax did you have to manually edit the amount in the box? I'm a little worried that you submitted a return that was doing bad math.  If you download your federal tax forms and go look for the "Form 8936" (it'll look something like this: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf, you should be able to Ctrl-F for it) What does your return show in boxes 4a, 4b, and 4c?

Before they fixed it, for me, 4a was $7500, 4b was 50%, and 4c was $7500, after they fixed it, it correctly shows $7500 / 50% / $3750 respectively.

And even if I manually updated the value turbotax was using to $3750, then it was doing $3750 / 50% / $3750 on the form, which was still incorrect math.

Did you check you status at the IRS site?

Did you get we are still processing your return and will provide a refund date when available?

@tito92  I filed also on 2-20-2020 and was accepted the same day.  I now show still processing and a refund date will be provided.....

Accepted on 2-20-2020 and received my Refund approved today.  So all in all not that bad given the TT issues.  Happy to arrive at the end next week.  Also IA takes about 30 days normally (so they hold on to your money just a bit longer....).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies