Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ik
Level 3

Fellowship

Fellowship

Hello, 

My son received fellowship for his work at a certain organization after he graduated college. Fellowship was his only compensation. He didn't receive 1099, instead his university sent him a letter : "The amount paid to you as a fellowship during the calendar year was $XXX. In accordance with IRS regs, our University does not report on IRS Form 1099 Misc the amount paid as fellowship to US citizens. Nonetheless, the income you received will generally be subject to federal and state income tax".

My question is, can my son deduct his travel, housing, meal etc. as a business expenses to lower the fellowship amount? 

Thank you so much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Fellowship

I would say yes based only on the wording of that letter.  If it was not part of his educational program in some way, it probably should have been treated as a job with a W-2, and universities don’t usually make that mistake.  But I would need to know a lot more details to have a better idea and even then, I can’t give you legal advice.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Fellowship

No.  An educational fellowship is not self-employment income.  You do not need a schedule C and don't pay self-employment tax, but there is no provision to deduct expenses from fellowship income.  This can be reported as "other" income, there should be a box to check for fellowship, or I believe you can enter it through the educational expenses interview, if you keep going past the 1098-T questions. 

ik
Level 3

Fellowship

Thank you Opus 17! My son graduated from the university first. The fellowship work began after he received the diploma. Is it still considered as an educational fellowship?

Thank you!

Carl
Level 15

Fellowship

My son graduated from the university first. The fellowship work began after he received the diploma. Is it still considered as an educational fellowship?

If he graduated in 2019 and was paid the fellowship in 2019, then the answer is yes. Pay attention to the interview questions. Some ask if he was an undergraduate on ***JANUARY FIRST*** of the tax year. The answer to that question would be a resounding YES. Other questions ask if he was an undergraduate on DECEMBER THIRTY FIRST of the tax year. The answer to that question would be NO since he graduated before that date.

Fellowship

I would say yes based only on the wording of that letter.  If it was not part of his educational program in some way, it probably should have been treated as a job with a W-2, and universities don’t usually make that mistake.  But I would need to know a lot more details to have a better idea and even then, I can’t give you legal advice.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies