Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ek0
Returning Member

Estimated taxes on Schedule A

The last 2019 estimated payment due date is Jan 15,2020. I put in what I plan to pay on that date and then looked at Shceuld A. I noticed that it only showed SALT for the first 3 payments. If I change the date on the 4th payment to 12/31/2019 then it shows all 4 on Schedule A. I assume that the payment counts for 2019 in either case, but how does it get accounted on Schedule A if I make it in 1/15/2020? Is this expected, or is it a bug of some sort?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Not a BUG ... the Jan 2019 payment for the 4th quarter 2018 estimate + the April, June & Sept 2019 estimates go on the 2019 Sch A ... the payments made DURING the 2019 tax year go on the 2019 Sch A.  What you are missing is the 4th quarter 2018 payment made in Jan 2019  IF  you made such a payment.   ALSO any 2018 balance due payments made in 2019  go on the 2019 Sch A ... go back to the Federal Deductions section to enter these payments if you have not yet done so.  

Now on the state return ... the 2019 payments (made in 2019 & 2020) will go on the 2019 return.  

Where do I enter my estimated tax payments?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300049

To enter, edit or delete estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button. Be sure to pick State.

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen.  Click on Jump to estimates paid

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Not a BUG ... the Jan 2019 payment for the 4th quarter 2018 estimate + the April, June & Sept 2019 estimates go on the 2019 Sch A ... the payments made DURING the 2019 tax year go on the 2019 Sch A.  What you are missing is the 4th quarter 2018 payment made in Jan 2019  IF  you made such a payment.   ALSO any 2018 balance due payments made in 2019  go on the 2019 Sch A ... go back to the Federal Deductions section to enter these payments if you have not yet done so.  

Now on the state return ... the 2019 payments (made in 2019 & 2020) will go on the 2019 return.  

Where do I enter my estimated tax payments?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300049

To enter, edit or delete estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button. Be sure to pick State.

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen.  Click on Jump to estimates paid

ek0
Returning Member

Thank you. I had no estimated payment for 4th quarter of 2018. So far I have effectively made 3 payments in 2019 (Apr, Jun, Sep).

So, to make sure I am clear, does this mean that I can pick whether to deduct the 4th payment in 2019 or 2020 based on the date that I make it?

Correct ... pay it in 2019 deduct it on the 2019 return ... this has always been the rule for a Sch A. 

Yes exactly.  If you make a state estimated payment before 12/31/19 it counts on your 2019 schedule A.  If you make the 4th payment in January 2020 it will go  on your 2020 schedule A next year.  But the payment still counts as a 2019 estimated payment on your state return.  So when you enter it put down the exact date you paid it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies