Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Electric Vehicle Tax Credit

My guess is that people are doing what I did...confusing the available 8834 with the as of now unavailable 8936.

browci_602161
Returning Member

My turbox tax is not updating for me to my deduction in for my car

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Not all forms are available yet. To check the availability of Forms 8936 (Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit) and 8834 (Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit), please click the below link:

Federal forms

@browci_602161

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hiya,

So without sounding completely dumb, what's the difference between these forms?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Form 8936, Qualified Pulg-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit, is used to claim the credit currently.

Form 8834, Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit, is used only if you have carryover credits from prior years. The qualified electric vehicle credit was available for certain vehicles placed in service before 2007.

If you are claiming the credit for the first time, you would use Form 8936.

LeeT

I have not received this 8834 update to my turbo tax.  You say it will be ready 1-29-2020 but I have not seen it.  When I OK an update your system tries to download North Carolina which I DO NOT WANT!

@LeeT wrote:

I have not received this 8834 update to my turbo tax.  You say it will be ready 1-29-2020 but I have not seen it.  When I OK an update your system tries to download North Carolina which I DO NOT WANT!

Form 8834 Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8834.pdf

This form only applies to qualified electric vehicle passive activity credits from prior years (allowed on Form 8582-CR or Form 8810 for the current year). The qualified electric vehicle credit was available for certain vehicles placed in service before 2007.

This section of the program is waiting on the other forms for the vehicle tax credit to become available on 02/12/2020

Form 8910, Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit

Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

It is 2/8 and the form is still not available - it is available on irs and HR block do I need to switch platforms - this is frustrating

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Per our updates, Form 8936 "Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit"  is not available until 2/12/2020.

The fact that the forms are available on the IRS website has nothing to do with any tax software program.  The forms are available if you are going to download from the IRS to complete it on your own.  However, e-filing is different.  Once the form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  I hope this helps you understand the situation.  At this point, the IRS expects to approve the form 8936 on TurboTax e-file as  02/12/2020.  I truly understand your frustration and thank you for your patience.

Today is  2/12/2019.  Tried again this morning, but still no support for the form.  When should I check back?

It's 2/12... still not available. Guess it's time to switch to H&R Block after 10 years on Turbo...

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

We are working to get an update now. 

The form will be in this week's release, but I do not have a timeline yet for when that release will be. 

I am watching this post and will come back to update what I know (or what I don't know) this afternoon. 

@ewarkentine

Thank you for a real progress update instead of the brushoff "check the meaningless list of form availability". This type of transparency is greatly appreciated. 

THANK YOU!

Halliluyah. Form 8936 is now available and was quickly filled out. However, Form 8911, which covers the charging station is not yet available. Not until Feb 20th per the list of forms.  What one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies