turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Donation

I donated an antique boat to a museum (approx. value$13000.) and I am aware of the Form 8283 that has to be filed with my taxes for deduction purposes.  In addition there were costs that I incurred in transporting the boat to the museum (motels, gas, meals, shrink wrapping the boat for the 1200 mile trip and an appraisal fee).  What tax form do I use to list these additional expenses in order to get deductions for these items?

Thanks

JIm

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Donation

Yes, you can deduct the cost of shipping your antique boat to the museum. You will add the cost of preparation, shipping, and travel expenses to the fair market value of the boat for the total deduction to be claimed. The total deduction will be reported as one line on Form 8283.   You should maintain records and receipts for these expenses.  Any expenses that have an element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation can not be deducted. 

The link Deducting Travel Expenses When Doing Charitable Work is to a TurboTax Blog that has information that you may find useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Donation

You will deduct the sum of your expenses to prepare and transport the boat to the museum as an "out of pocket expense" on Schedule A  "Gifts to Charity" Line 11.  This amount will be entered as a cash donation in TurboTax.

Your "Out of pocket expenses" will not be reported on Form 8283

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Donation

Yes, you can deduct the cost of shipping your antique boat to the museum. You will add the cost of preparation, shipping, and travel expenses to the fair market value of the boat for the total deduction to be claimed. The total deduction will be reported as one line on Form 8283.   You should maintain records and receipts for these expenses.  Any expenses that have an element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation can not be deducted. 

The link Deducting Travel Expenses When Doing Charitable Work is to a TurboTax Blog that has information that you may find useful.

Donation

Thanks for your reply.  I'm still confused as to where on Form 8283 I put these additional expenses.  I'm using Sec. B of 8283 since the appraised value of the boat was greater than $5000.  The appraiser inserted the value in Section B, Part 1, Para. 5, Line A, Col. (c) Appraised fair market value.  Where exactly do I put the "total deduction on one line" as you suggested?  

Thanks again.

Jim

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Donation

You will deduct the sum of your expenses to prepare and transport the boat to the museum as an "out of pocket expense" on Schedule A  "Gifts to Charity" Line 11.  This amount will be entered as a cash donation in TurboTax.

Your "Out of pocket expenses" will not be reported on Form 8283

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies