Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

redleg11

Does Turbo Tax for 2020 account for the provision in the coronavirus -related CARES ACT $300 above the line charitable deduction even though I do not itemize ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

Does Turbo Tax for 2020 account for the provision in the coronavirus -related CARES ACT $300 above the line charitable deduction even though I do not itemize ?

Yes, the software includes the $300 cash above the line charitable contribution adjustment to income on Form 1040 Line 10b

Where do you enter the information?  Does not work if you enter it in Deductions.

The software has not yet been updated to include the charitable contribution entry on Form 1040 Line 10b.

The 2020 Form 1040 is scheduled to be finalized on 01/07/2021 (subject to change)

Just enter the donations in the charity section of the deductions & credits tab and  if you do not itemize deductions then the program will automatically enter the $300 correctly ...  nothing extra you need to do. 

charity 2020  $300.jpg

jim-millcreek
Returning Member

Yes ..it does reflect/allow a $300 deduction...But a PROBLEM...the law is $300 per person...but if one files a joint married return...turbo tax sill only allows $300...and an override screws things up...Intuit needs to fix this

@jim-millcreek wrote:

Yes ..it does reflect/allow a $300 deduction...But a PROBLEM...the law is $300 per person...but if one files a joint married return...turbo tax sill only allows $300...and an override screws things up...Intuit needs to fix this

The Form 1040 instructions for tax year 2020 state that the amount that can be entered for a cash contribution cannot be more than $300 when Married Filing Jointly

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf#page=29

Line 10b
If you don't itemize deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040), you (or you and your spouse if filing jointly) may be able to take a charitable deduction for cash contributions made in 2020.  Enter the total amount of your contributions on line 10b.

Don't enter more than:
• $300 if single, head of household,
or qualifying widow(er);
$300 if married filing jointly; or
• $150 if married filing separately.

I'm not able to see this under the donations section, is anyone else having this issue? 

jim-millcreek
Returning Member

Yes..line 10b of the 1040 ...but there is a problem, in my view, with the IRS instructions for Form 1040...the IRS is allowing $300 if single but only $150 per person if married,,., The law says $300 per individual... we all need to pressure the IRS to fix their instructions to conform with the law. ..otherwise we lose entitlements or will be in dialogue for years

How and where?  Didn't see it in the interview

I think it is $300 for both single and joint filers; $150 for married filing separately per the IRS website. Go to Line 10b, Form 1040.

Subject to change I guess but check it out

@daddeebeard wrote:

How and where?  Didn't see it in the interview

The program asks about cash contributions after you complete the Deductions & Credits section if your Itemized Deductions are less than the Standard Deduction for your filing status.

Cash Contributions.JPG

I am using Home and Business and the $300 deduction does not appear on line 10b of form 1040-SR. I entered the donations in the charitable contributions section of deductions and credits but it did not post as noted for the premier version. 

Is your program up to date ?     And did you enter cash donations ?  

Program was updated 1/10/2021 and donations are entered in deductions and credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies