turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wt45wine
Returning Member

do I need to file an amended return

While preparing my 2018 return I discovered that the prior CPA firm made an error on my 2017 return.  They have since filed an amended 2017 return.  The errors were some expenses on rental properties which resulted in new carry forward figures on the 8582 form.  My return for 2018 is only incorrect with the starting carry forward figures for the passive activities.  Does this require an amended return for 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I would amend the return if for nothing else than when the 2018 info is transferred to the 2019 return it is correct going forward.  But if the bottom line on the 1040 doesn't change you don't need to mail it in.

This is also good if you are ever audited... you will have the correct figures on the forms to show continuity.   

wt45wine
Returning Member

I am having trouble in Turbo Tax trying to find the right place to make the change to do an amended return.  I cannot seem to find my way to the rental property information.  Can you offer any guidance as to where I need to go?

thank you

@wt45wine wrote:

I am having trouble in Turbo Tax trying to find the right place to make the change to do an amended return.  I cannot seem to find my way to the rental property information.  Can you offer any guidance as to where I need to go?

thank you

Assuming that you need to amend a 2018 tax return or earlier, since a filed 2019 tax return has not been received by the IRS -

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return originally completed and filed using TurboTax - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies