turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

delugrnc
Returning Member

Deductions?

This year we have had several expenses caring for our sons. One has PTSD and not able to work. Even though his doctors have all submitted documentation, he has been denied SSI disability since January. We have helped with his expenses to keep his home and family. He is 43 and has his own home and children and we have paid his bills and sent food and living expenses. 

Our other son had a 5 week hospital stay and I stayed at his home for 5 weeks after his discharge. Can any of my travel expenses (air fare, hotel for 2 weeks, etc.) be deducted? He is single (40 yrs) and needed care at home after his marathon surgeries - one was 10 hours, the second was 6 hours. While in the hospital his wallet was stolen so I paid for his medication until he could get his Flex Card reissued. 

We are both retired and living on SS, pensions and IRA distributions. Anything at all would help and I would be able to get documentation to support any of my claim as I save all receipts. Both sons have indicated that their doctors would furnish me with whatever documentation I may need. 

Thank you

M Deluga

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Deductions?

We need more information in order to answer your questions.   First of all, so sorry for the troubles your family has had.

You have been helping your son who has PTSD with bills and living expenses--but you do not mention if he is married with a spouse who works.  Is he married?  Does his spouse have income?  Will they be filing a joint tax return?  Did he have ANY income in 2019?  If so, what was the source of his income?

Your other son  who is single had a couple of surgeries.  Did he have income in 2019?  What was the source of his income?  Was it more than $4200?

Your own income is SS and retirement income from pensions and retirement accounts.   Are you having tax withheld from that income?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deductions?

from IRS pub 502 medical expenses

they would have to meet the tests  for qualifying relative

A qualifying relative is a person:
1. Who is your:
a. Son, ,
2. Who wasn't a qualifying child (see Qualifying Child, earlier) of any taxpayer for the tax year and
3. For whom you provided over half of the support in the tax year  

the following tests for qualifying dependent ate waived for purposes of deducting their medical expenses

He or she received gross income of $4,200 or more in the year.
He or she filed a joint return for the year.

it would seem you don't actually claim them as dependents.  

from another thread

taxpayer is claiming non-dependent (medical expenses for the medical treatment I paid for son . Is this allowed by the IRS?

Exceptions exist for claiming non-dependent medical expenses on your tax return. The exceptions allow you to claim medical expenses of someone who is not your dependent. You can claim an exception for any of these people:

An individual you would have been allowed to claim as a dependent except one of these applied:
He or she received gross income of $4,200 or more in the year.
He or she filed a joint return for the year.
You (or your spouse if married filing jointly) could be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return in the current year.

the expenses would still have to qualify as medical expenses

see irs pub 502

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies