Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Co-owners on a house exceeding total mortgage interest deduction limit but under limit if splitting loan amount

I'm currently full owner of a house with a $300k mortgage with interest payment of $10k. I'm also a co-owner of a house with a $800k mortgage with a total interest payment of $18k with my share at $9k (50% responsibility). Turbotax has me putting $800k and $300k as the mortgage loan amount (since instructions indicate to put what the form says) and interest at $10k and $9k (my share) respectively. However, due to the $750k limit on loan amount you can deduct interest from, it claims less than $19k in interest deductions since it thinks my total loan amount of $1.1M exceeds $750k. Since the 2nd house is co-owned, shouldn't I be under the limit (300k + 400k instead of 300k + 800k) and claim the full $19k in interest payment deductions? Do I need to put half of the loan amount instead in Turbotax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Co-owners on a house exceeding total mortgage interest deduction limit but under limit if splitting loan amount

@johnz45 for the mortgage where you only own half of  the home, cut all the figures in half - half the interest and half the mortgage balance.   

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@johnz45 for the mortgage where you only own half of  the home, cut all the figures in half - half the interest and half the mortgage balance.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies