turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Charitable Contribution Error on California CA(540) and 540

I am still waiting for TurboTax (Online) to fix the error on line 22 of Schedule CA (540). The program puts the $300 in all three columns. It should only be in column B per CA FTB instructions.

I'm still suspicious whether the program is correctly computing and transferring "subtractions" and "additions" from line 23 (of CA(540)) to lines 14 and 16 on Form 540. The CA FTB's instructions aren't clear on this issue.

megan24

My CA Tax return was accepted, but I just got a notice from the state that I owe additional money because of this error. Not happy.

megan24,

I did my CA tax return on paper, putting the $300 in column B as instructed, and got a bill for additional tax. Turns out it is a CA Franchise Tax Board error.  They ignored the federal AGI on Form 540 line 13 and substituted Form 540 line 23A instead.  This resulted in adding the $300 in twice, once by including it in line 23A and a second time by subtracting it from line 23B.  I am formally protesting this double addback.  I suspect it won't get straightened out for months.  Last time they made a mistake, I had to go through the Taxpayer Advocate's office to get my missing refund.

craigus46

CA 540 do not add the $300.00 contributions deduction that is taken from AGI then the standard deduction ?
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

We are aware of this error and working to get it resolved.  No date yet on the resolution, however we suggest checking back ofter to see if you will be able to file.  

In the meantime, we suggest rebooting your computer and clearing your cookies. and cache'.

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.

Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is February 15th, 2022 and this error still exists. My Federal was approved and my CA rejected. When is this going to be resolved?

marinn
Returning Member

same issue what have you done

Mine too was just denied for the same reason.  For the issue to remain after not being corrected for over a year is frustrating to say the least.

marinn
Returning Member

did you resubmit? im on. phone now with them

stgoodwi

Sane issue here...

I essentially went back to the prompt in the beginning of Turbotax's menu under Federal where it asks the Charitable Contribution question and then 0'd my entry. I did re-file, so hopefully it corrects on the state side. But then I forfeit the X amount deduction. 

marinn
Returning Member

thats what i was going to do but then my federal tax goes down $60 and since it got approved i thought it wont be good to re do. i just resubmitted the next rejection im going to 0 out on the federal side even though i will lose my money

Yep, exactly. It did change my federal tax liability, but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle of calling support and/or getting rejected again. 

I just did the same exact thing.  Still super annoying, but not worth the hassle.  Now, if it gets rejected again, that's another story...

That's the golden question. I'll try to follow-up again if it's rejected another time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies